Here's a rare peek into the complexities you might encounter when writing NLE software for Linux. It's a constantly shifting platform, and even the most subtle changes can cause headaches for developers. But there's a good outcome: having solved the problem, the NLE code is more robust than ever. (This is also a good introduction into how a modern NLE copes with Long GOP footage). Lightworks Lead Developer Rob Fearnside shares his insights
Dell have announced that their linux based XPS13 ultrabook (codenamed "Sputnik") that was launched in the US last November is being updated and launched in Europe. It's a powerful spec, probably intended for developers - but it could be ideal for Lightworks
Highpoint technology have been making RAID cards for Macs and PC's under the RocketRAID name for years. They have just released a new range of PCIe cards with 4 USB3 ports and drivers for Mac, Windows and Linux
This high-end Linux and OS X Digital Audio Workstation now supports video playback. Chris Erswell reports
Lightworks is a great video editing tool but if you want more low-cost, high-octane audio assistance there are places to go. Chris Erswell investigates
Big news for news for Linux fans: Editshare has today announced it aims to release a public Beta version before the end of the first quarter of 2013. Now, everyone will be able to try Lightworks for Linux
Is this the most important new computer for a decade? It might not sound a likely candidate for that award. It's not very powerful. It's made of plastic. You can't run your favourite applications on it. You certainly can't use it to edit video. And yet, for reasons I'll explain below, I think it's pretty important.
The slightest mention of Lightworks for Linux sparks a frenzy of interest across the web. Now that Alpha testing is underway, some reviews have started to appear.
RedShark's very lucky because we share an office building (and a parent company, EditShare) with one of the most talked-about products in the world of video: Lightworks. We're editorially independent of Lightworks and EditShare, but it certainly helps when we can can sit down next to the developers, product and technical support managers and say "how about making an exclusive for RedShark: the first-ever full-length official demo of Lightworks for Linux"
In case you missed them the first time around, we're replaying some of the best articles from 2012. This time - Linux: Read this first! By Phil Rhodes
- Sunday 29 Nov 2015 - (42129) Building a Resolve 12 system for $500
- Sunday 22 Nov 2015 - (30426) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part one: understanding SSDs
- Thursday 19 Nov 2015 - (21403) Are cameras getting a bit too "DIY" these days?
- Friday 27 Nov 2015 - (19366) Telling a story in four seconds using 600fps SlowMo
- Friday 20 Nov 2015 - (14437) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Tuesday 1 Dec 2015 - (369) This is how ARRI makes cameras - RedShark Exclusive
- Tuesday 1 Dec 2015 - (716) Why is LiFi suddenly in the news?
- Monday 30 Nov 2015 - (1005) The truth about ETTR - Exposing To The Right
- Monday 30 Nov 2015 - (1005) [Sponsored] Amazing offer for Davinci Resolve training - Extended for Tuesday!
- Monday 30 Nov 2015 - (1293) Panasonic aims Toughpad 4K Performance at film production