This high-end Linux and OS X Digital Audio Workstation now supports video playback. Chris Erswell reports
Lightworks is a great video editing tool but if you want more low-cost, high-octane audio assistance there are places to go. Chris Erswell investigates
The slightest mention of Lightworks for Linux sparks a frenzy of interest across the web. Now that Alpha testing is underway, some reviews have started to appear.
Is this the most important new computer for a decade? It might not sound a likely candidate for that award. It's not very powerful. It's made of plastic. You can't run your favourite applications on it. You certainly can't use it to edit video. And yet, for reasons I'll explain below, I think it's pretty important.
RedShark's very lucky because we share an office building (and a parent company, EditShare) with one of the most talked-about products in the world of video: Lightworks. We're editorially independent of Lightworks and EditShare, but it certainly helps when we can can sit down next to the developers, product and technical support managers and say "how about making an exclusive for RedShark: the first-ever full-length official demo of Lightworks for Linux"
On first blush, it seemed like an April Fool's Day joke, but it's real: Magic Lantern has discovered how to run Linux on Canon EOS cameras, opening the door to new innovations.
Here's a rare peek into the complexities you might encounter when writing NLE software for Linux. It's a constantly shifting platform, and even the most subtle changes can cause headaches for developers. But there's a good outcome: having solved the problem, the NLE code is more robust than ever. (This is also a good introduction into how a modern NLE copes with Long GOP footage). Lightworks Lead Developer Rob Fearnside shares his insights
- Sunday 7 Feb 2016 - (38621) The truth about colour. This is stuff every film-maker should know about.
- Wednesday 3 Feb 2016 - (25484) 8-bit or 10-bit? The truth may surprise you
- Tuesday 9 Feb 2016 - (10420) AJA's surprise new camera is a change of direction
- Wednesday 3 Feb 2016 - (8741) Sony's A6300: Mirrorless 4K & world's fastest autofocus for under $1K
- Monday 1 Feb 2016 - (6602) Canon updates its 4K blockbuster DSLR with the EOS-1D X MK II
- Friday 12 Feb 2016 - (697) This is what you need to throw multiple 4K images around
- Friday 12 Feb 2016 - (1101) Odyssey 7Q+ to support Varicam LT V-RAW
- Friday 12 Feb 2016 - (790) Indian music and iPad: made for each other
- Thursday 11 Feb 2016 - (1292) RedShark Review: DJI Phantom 3 Advanced Drone
- Thursday 11 Feb 2016 - (5637) The powerful new Panasonic Varicam LT: Top-end features, mid-range price