Here's a rare peek into the complexities you might encounter when writing NLE software for Linux. It's a constantly shifting platform, and even the most subtle changes can cause headaches for developers. But there's a good outcome: having solved the problem, the NLE code is more robust than ever. (This is also a good introduction into how a modern NLE copes with Long GOP footage). Lightworks Lead Developer Rob Fearnside shares his insights
Is this the most important new computer for a decade? It might not sound a likely candidate for that award. It's not very powerful. It's made of plastic. You can't run your favourite applications on it. You certainly can't use it to edit video. And yet, for reasons I'll explain below, I think it's pretty important.
In case you missed them the first time around, we're replaying some of the best articles from 2012. This time - Linux: Read this first! By Phil Rhodes
On first blush, it seemed like an April Fool's Day joke, but it's real: Magic Lantern has discovered how to run Linux on Canon EOS cameras, opening the door to new innovations.
This high-end Linux and OS X Digital Audio Workstation now supports video playback. Chris Erswell reports
Lightworks is a great video editing tool but if you want more low-cost, high-octane audio assistance there are places to go. Chris Erswell investigates
Big news for news for Linux fans: Editshare has today announced it aims to release a public Beta version before the end of the first quarter of 2013. Now, everyone will be able to try Lightworks for Linux
- Sunday 22 Nov 2015 - (29988) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part one: understanding SSDs
- Thursday 19 Nov 2015 - (21091) Are cameras getting a bit too "DIY" these days?
- Sunday 15 Nov 2015 - (17907) The Commodore Amiga: Once upon a time this was what we used to produce digital video
- Friday 20 Nov 2015 - (13487) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Saturday 14 Nov 2015 - (10103) A revolution in cheap cine lenses? We review the Veydra MFT Primes
- Thursday 26 Nov 2015 - (9089) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part two: using SSDs
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (987) RedShark Review: Sony PMW-PZ1 — 4K just got easier
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (637) Remembering Betamax: a truly game-changing tape format
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (1366) CalDigit takes wrappers off new USB C docks
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (716) The end of digital signage? Or just the beginning?