LED lights are a big hit. With low power consumption, long life bulbs, a relatively high light output and little heat radiating onto the set, they have become highly sought after. Kieron Seth looks at the plusses and pitfalls of LED lighting.
Phil Rhodes profiles a CoeLux, a new simulated skylight marketed to hotels and upscale residences, and explores whether such a product could be utilized for filmmaking.
Great cameras, improving LEDs, but still gaps in the lens market and stagnating workstations: Phil Rhodes takes a look back at the last year's developments in production technology and where they might lead in 2016.
An accelerated evolution and a highly competitive market has helped ensure that cameras themselves are excellent now, but what about everything else? Phil Rhodes, RedShark's Technical Editor, gives his views ahead of the start of NAB.
HMI remains a viable and useful lighting technology. Phil Rhodes explains the science behind this enduring type of illumination
Phil Rhodes reviews the Square One, a fluorescent 'panel' from Photon Beard that holds some distinct advantages over comparable LED units.
While the rest of the top tier television manufacturers are dropping prices of their 4K/UHD televisions, LG aims to trump the competition with the world's first OLED 4K television and a massive pre-release price cut.
- Sunday 7 Feb 2016 - (38647) The truth about colour. This is stuff every film-maker should know about.
- Wednesday 3 Feb 2016 - (25580) 8-bit or 10-bit? The truth may surprise you
- Tuesday 9 Feb 2016 - (10526) AJA's surprise new camera is a change of direction
- Wednesday 3 Feb 2016 - (8772) Sony's A6300: Mirrorless 4K & world's fastest autofocus for under $1K
- Monday 1 Feb 2016 - (6618) Canon updates its 4K blockbuster DSLR with the EOS-1D X MK II
- Saturday 13 Feb 2016 - (288) Event Horizon showcases the power of blocking and framing
- Friday 12 Feb 2016 - (945) This is what you need to throw multiple 4K images around
- Friday 12 Feb 2016 - (1284) Odyssey 7Q+ to support Varicam LT V-RAW
- Friday 12 Feb 2016 - (902) Indian music and iPad: made for each other
- Thursday 11 Feb 2016 - (1402) RedShark Review: DJI Phantom 3 Advanced Drone