What's the way forward with video? It's not, it seems, more resolution. What people want is better, not more, pixels
Another chance to read about this fascinating debate. This was first published in April 2014. Just because we can do 16 bit, High Dynamic Range, 6K and 8K: does that mean we need it? Here's where to start in the debate
More is more: Simon Wyndham looks at some of the upcoming improvements for video tech - higher resolution, higher contrast and brightness, higher frame rates - and reckons we need to be continually pushing the boudaries if we ever want to emulate the way the natural world, and our natural eyes, work.
Sony is using IBC2016 to showcase new technology and upgraded broadcast and video over IP products and services.
Although CES 2015 may be over, there's still more news from the convention, as Panasonic unleashes two sub-$1000 4K camcorders with some very interesting features.
Perhaps physical media isn't dead after all, as industry experts predict a surge in sales for 4K Blu-ray discs.
I recently had a tip-off from a TV manufacturer that it is going to launch some new models at NAB. A key feature of these new sets will be High Dynamic Range (HDR). I’m not completely surprised by this because at the point where everyone else is doing, well, everything, it’s getting harder to make your products stand out.
- Wednesday 19 Oct 2016 - (93896) 8K is not the future of TV. We think 21:9 Ultra Widescreen is instead. Here's why...
- Saturday 15 Oct 2016 - (38679) Understanding ISO: In digital cameras, it's not what you think it is
- Tuesday 11 Oct 2016 - (22423) RED launches not one, but two 8K cameras [Update - now with product video]
- Saturday 8 Oct 2016 - (14797) The art of Colour Rendering
- Friday 7 Oct 2016 - (8720) The impressive new Sony a6500 raises the sub-$1500 mirrorless bar
- Friday 21 Oct 2016 - (321) What happens when you put a 1000W LED onto a drone?
- Friday 21 Oct 2016 - (706) The end of shaky video?
- Friday 21 Oct 2016 - (1055) What Convergent has done with Titan shows the way to capturing all camera angles at once
- Thursday 20 Oct 2016 - (4456) The state of Solid State Drives in 2016
- Thursday 20 Oct 2016 - (1760) Sigma Cine Lenses now shipping