In the real world, light levels vary enormously. Our current screens can't reproduce images that include light sources or reflections of them accurately. To do so would require a massive increase in brightness. But it needs to be done. Phil Rhodes explains the science needed for this next artistic leap
Just in case anyone was in doubt that the 4K revolution is happening, Nvidia has just announced that its much anticipated Tegra 4 mobile chipset will include "4K Ultra-High-Def video support"
We’ve talked before about High Dynamic Range imaging and how we think it might turn the industry on its head, providing not just more pixels but better ones with a lot more colour information. Even better though, it’s coming to a set near you soon courtesy of Dolby Vision and VIZIO. This is now a 2015 technology.
The House of Mouse has come up with an innovative new technique that mitigates most of the problems that tone mapping introduces when it interprets HDR images for conventional television sets.
Although CES 2015 may be over, there's still more news from the convention, as Panasonic unleashes two sub-$1000 4K camcorders with some very interesting features.
RED has an event scheduled on the calendar for Friday when it will release the full details of the upcoming Raven camera, but that hasn’t stopped CEO Jarred Land spilling the beans in a couple of late night user posts on the RED forum.
Even with an abundance of incredible views, you still need an outstanding eye for composition and a highly developed photographic technique to get pictures like these
April’s here, and while it will take a few days for all the foolery to get shaken out of the tech websites, we’re just about have a massive focus on what’s actual and real, as we go to the biggest film, TV and broadcast technology show on Earth.
Phil Rhodes visited London's BSC Expo 2016 mounted by the British Society of Cinematographers and brought back some industry insights and a few oddities in the lighting arena.
Just in case you're not fully up to speed with HDR and its importance, a quick rewind to just after IBC2014 when Dolby first introduced Dolby Vision and a look at some of the underlying principles.
- Saturday 30 Apr 2016 - (28169) All about sensors, lenses and depth of field.
- Sunday 24 Apr 2016 - (21799) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Tuesday 26 Apr 2016 - (9447) The world's smallest 4K interchangeable lens camera
- Friday 22 Apr 2016 - (6445) RedShark NAB Awards - The Results
- Monday 2 May 2016 - (5430) Will the Lytro Cinema Camera kill off the 2D pixel?
- Friday 6 May 2016 - (218) The Sony AX53 - how good can a consumer camcorder get?
- Thursday 5 May 2016 - (615) Sony Catalyst Production Suite goes to subscription model
- Thursday 5 May 2016 - (1061) The Rollocam Hercules, the smallest dolly in the world, nears release
- Thursday 5 May 2016 - (1350) Free 3D Star Wars models available for download
- Wednesday 4 May 2016 - (807) RedShark's Teradek NAB live TV shows - Episode 2, Editshare