HDR imaging has been one of the sleeper stories of technological advancement over the past couple of years, but with the International Telecoms Union (ITU) looking to fold it into a future Ultra HD spec and the chance of some major film franchises — think Star Wars and The Hobbit — mastering in it, it’s time may finally have come.
RED has an event scheduled on the calendar for Friday when it will release the full details of the upcoming Raven camera, but that hasn’t stopped CEO Jarred Land spilling the beans in a couple of late night user posts on the RED forum.
In the real world, light levels vary enormously. Our current screens can't reproduce images that include light sources or reflections of them accurately. To do so would require a massive increase in brightness. But it needs to be done. Phil Rhodes explains the science needed for this next artistic leap
Support for Dolby Vision grows with the announcement that Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will use the Dolby Vision mastering process for high dynamic range 4K/UHD, featuring more vibrant colors/brightness and wider contrast range.
We're very excited about this video. It is filmed using HDR (High Dynamic Range) and gives the video a very distinctive look that is entirely appropriate for its subject matter: New York. And it may just be a very important moment in the history of film-making
Phil Rhodes wonders what happens now that the best digital camera costs less than the best film camera ever did.
We're seeing an interesting trend in consumer display technology shaping up at this year's Consumer Electronics Show that could impact filmmakers and video content producers.
- Sunday 29 Nov 2015 - (42891) Building a Resolve 12 system for $500
- Sunday 22 Nov 2015 - (30462) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part one: understanding SSDs
- Thursday 19 Nov 2015 - (21456) Are cameras getting a bit too "DIY" these days?
- Friday 27 Nov 2015 - (19434) Telling a story in four seconds using 600fps SlowMo
- Friday 20 Nov 2015 - (14485) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Tuesday 1 Dec 2015 - (1965) This is how ARRI makes cameras - RedShark Exclusive
- Tuesday 1 Dec 2015 - (1266) Why is LiFi suddenly in the news?
- Monday 30 Nov 2015 - (1495) The truth about ETTR - Exposing To The Right
- Monday 30 Nov 2015 - (1264) [Sponsored] Amazing offer for Davinci Resolve training - Extended for Tuesday!
- Monday 30 Nov 2015 - (1658) Panasonic aims Toughpad 4K Performance at film production