This holiday we're re-running some of our most popular articles, in case you didn't see them the first time. Toda, we're drilling down to the essence of the difference between analogue and digital. Here's Phil Rhodes' take on this persistent question. It's a fascinating read, and is pretty definitive on the subject.
Analogue systems are not intrinsically better than digital ones, but they are tied up in the complex history of what sounds and images mean to us and explain why they, and the 'film look', remain so important.
If you're still taking pictures with film, there are still quite a few places that will develop it for you, and some, even, who will scan the images send them to you in a digital form. But what do you do if you've discovered a stash of old film footage?
RedShark's 12 Days of Christmas Replays: Arguments - even traditional Boxing Day ones - about film vs digital are more numerous and more subtle than "which looks better?". It affects everything. Here's what people at the coal-face think. By Matt Aindow
How Atsuki Sato and his team used Adobe Premiere Pro CC to complete Hideaki Anno's monster film on time.
A recent event held at the Getty Research Institute in the USA saw the likes of Christopher Nolan argue the case for the use of film in the digital era, against a backdrop that saw a mere 39 commercial US releases shot on 35mm in 2014.
- Sunday 8 Jan 2017 - (24358) Coveted by top movie makers, this is how Cooke makes their lenses
- Friday 13 Jan 2017 - (14527) Why FCPX 10.3 is the NLE of the future
- Thursday 5 Jan 2017 - (8822) If you’re wondering about 8K workflows, this might help
- Tuesday 10 Jan 2017 - (8016) RED Helium is the "best sensor ever" according to DxO
- Wednesday 4 Jan 2017 - (6522) Panasonic reveals the GH5: and it’s a stunner
- Tuesday 17 Jan 2017 - (210) This might be the tipping point for 8K
- Monday 16 Jan 2017 - (471) A timelapse system that works unattended for months
- Monday 16 Jan 2017 - (6122) Just how good is AMD's impressive new Ryzen CPU?
- Monday 16 Jan 2017 - (1081) An Apple Studios original?
- Sunday 15 Jan 2017 - (1348) Premiere Pro Video Transitions 101: A Step-by-Step Guide [sponsored]