If you're still taking pictures with film, there are still quite a few places that will develop it for you, and some, even, who will scan the images send them to you in a digital form. But what do you do if you've discovered a stash of old film footage?
This holiday we're re-running some of our most popular articles, in case you didn't see them the first time. Toda, we're drilling down to the essence of the difference between analogue and digital. Here's Phil Rhodes' take on this persistent question. It's a fascinating read, and is pretty definitive on the subject.
Film is back! People are actually designing and making film cameras again. And this one uses accessible film stock - Super 8mmm
We're pretty sure Arri doesn't need any help from us to sell their popular Alexa cameras, but we found this clip from an Arri-staged event at IBC 2012 that features Roger Deakins, the award-winning Chief Cinematographer on Skyfall.
"...it's perhaps surprising that the Super-8 film format is still – in what we might have expected to be the twilight of its years – quite popular. The popularity of retro-styled web imaging services like Instagram is another instance of what I suspect may be the same trend, and goes some way toward confirming the suspicion that distressed images are now just as fashionable as distressed jeans"
A recent event held at the Getty Research Institute in the USA saw the likes of Christopher Nolan argue the case for the use of film in the digital era, against a backdrop that saw a mere 39 commercial US releases shot on 35mm in 2014.
- Sunday 29 Nov 2015 - (43806) Building a Resolve 12 system for $500
- Sunday 22 Nov 2015 - (30562) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part one: understanding SSDs
- Thursday 19 Nov 2015 - (21510) Are cameras getting a bit too "DIY" these days?
- Friday 27 Nov 2015 - (19530) Telling a story in four seconds using 600fps SlowMo
- Friday 20 Nov 2015 - (14610) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Wednesday 2 Dec 2015 - (311) How real life can trump VFX - even in space
- Tuesday 1 Dec 2015 - (1131) RedShark Exclusive Competition: Win a Panasonic DVX200 - one of the most talked about cameras of the year
- Tuesday 1 Dec 2015 - (717) Will AMD's new CAD-centric FirePro W4300 graphics card also be good for film?
- Tuesday 1 Dec 2015 - (5973) This is how ARRI makes cameras - RedShark Exclusive
- Tuesday 1 Dec 2015 - (2336) Why is LiFi suddenly in the news?