The Mac Pro's (sort of) available now. Assuming you can lay your hands on one, should you get one now, or should you wait. A lot depends on your NLE
RedShark Replay: NLEs (Non Linear Editors - computer editing systems) have transformed the creative process since they were first introduced a quarter of a century ago. But how do they actually work?
At this year's NAB show in Las Vegas Autodesk announced that they were working with Blackmagic Designs to add support for their video I/O cards in Smoke 2013. It looks like that support is going to be here next week.
Into the top half of our Top Ten countdown and this opinion piece from Clayton Moore: Ahead of a significant Apple event on Thursday (this was back in October) he wondered how the company's wildly successful efforts in the consumer space could point to a future NLE resurgence and the rebirth of Final Cut Pro.
Four years after Apple pulled the plug, Final Cut Pro 7 still plays an important role in the industry. But, with rumours that it will not run on the forthcoming El Capitan OS growing, how long can editors keep relying on it? By Andrew Johnstone.
A new start-up is marketing complete footage from indie short films, including production scripts and even project files, as teaching tools for schools and anyone who's interested in learning editing and building a reel. And there's a financial incentive for the short makers, too.
- Friday 17 Feb 2017 - (19206) Panasonic GH5 Review: the first full hands-on report
- Saturday 25 Feb 2017 - (12702) How to completely break the rules with colour
- Sunday 19 Feb 2017 - (12518) The dramatic ways that technology has changed editing
- Friday 24 Feb 2017 - (8275) Sony mirrorless cameras’ secret super power: Clear Image Zoom
- Monday 27 Feb 2017 - (7369) Panasonic GH5 noise reduction appears to be spectacular
- Wednesday 1 Mar 2017 - (139) How the Unreal Engine could change the way we make films
- Wednesday 1 Mar 2017 - (336) Join Sony for a webinar on HDR production, Thursday 7th March
- Wednesday 1 Mar 2017 - (622) YouTube unveils its live TV service
- Wednesday 1 Mar 2017 - (1069) The *really* shameful Oscar moment
- Tuesday 28 Feb 2017 - (933) How to bring video into... everything! [sponsored]