DaVinci Resolve 10 is one of the applications that has been optimised to run on the new Mac Pro and now, thanks to Dado Valentic from Mytherapy, we can see just how fast it runs. You may be surprised at some of the results!
IBC is a convention for the moving image industry that is second only to NAB. It's an event that's amazing in its size and scope. We haven't been around long enough to have our own official awards, so here's my own ideosyncratic top three from this year's show, in reverse order
Can you make a feature film with an iPhone? Well, "yes" is the answer if you don't mind a slightly fuzzy-looking picture on a big screen, and if you sit far enough away, but you can certainly get a cinematic "look" if you use cinema-type techniques when you make your film, and some software to give your work its finishing touches.
Here's another chance to read this great article by Phil Rhodes on why cameras need global shutters. Cheaper, cinematic cameras come with a cost - they tend to have Rolling Shutters, which means that rapid movement can be skewed. The ability to buy cameras with global shutters at all price points can't come soon enough, according to Phil Rhodes
As we saw in my previous article on sensor technology, we can now build sensors with enormous numbers attached to them - if not trivially, at least reliably. Given that current 4K sensors are more than adequate to replace 35mm film in terms of sheer resolution, we need to be careful about turning this into a numbers game.
Just in case you're not fully up to speed with HDR and its importance, a quick rewind to just after IBC2014 when Dolby first introduced Dolby Vision and a look at some of the underlying principles.
With Sony's F55 shaping up to be such a good device, it's reasonable to wonder about the future role of Sony's flagship camera, the F65. We spoke to Richard Lewis, Product Specialist for Cimenatography at Sony Europe, to get some definitive answers
- Sunday 8 Jan 2017 - (24358) Coveted by top movie makers, this is how Cooke makes their lenses
- Friday 13 Jan 2017 - (14527) Why FCPX 10.3 is the NLE of the future
- Thursday 5 Jan 2017 - (8822) If you’re wondering about 8K workflows, this might help
- Tuesday 10 Jan 2017 - (8016) RED Helium is the "best sensor ever" according to DxO
- Wednesday 4 Jan 2017 - (6522) Panasonic reveals the GH5: and it’s a stunner
- Tuesday 17 Jan 2017 - (208) This might be the tipping point for 8K
- Monday 16 Jan 2017 - (471) A timelapse system that works unattended for months
- Monday 16 Jan 2017 - (6110) Just how good is AMD's impressive new Ryzen CPU?
- Monday 16 Jan 2017 - (1079) An Apple Studios original?
- Sunday 15 Jan 2017 - (1345) Premiere Pro Video Transitions 101: A Step-by-Step Guide [sponsored]