IBC is a convention for the moving image industry that is second only to NAB. It's an event that's amazing in its size and scope. We haven't been around long enough to have our own official awards, so here's my own ideosyncratic top three from this year's show, in reverse order
DaVinci Resolve 10 is one of the applications that has been optimised to run on the new Mac Pro and now, thanks to Dado Valentic from Mytherapy, we can see just how fast it runs. You may be surprised at some of the results!
With Sony's F55 shaping up to be such a good device, it's reasonable to wonder about the future role of Sony's flagship camera, the F65. We spoke to Richard Lewis, Product Specialist for Cimenatography at Sony Europe, to get some definitive answers
It's kind of surprising to see a top-end camera like the F65 being used in smaller independent films. But the reality is that it's not so expensive and difficult to operate that it's out of range of this type of production. And here's the proof
You wouldn't expect any film with Tom Cruise in it to be short on production values and Oblivion proves the point. Shot in shimmering 4K with Sony's F65, it relies less overtly on computer-generated special effects than other sci-fi blockbusters
Unlike the vast majority of independent films, we decided to film “La Vie Nous Appartient” with a high-end camera - in this case, the Sony F65. This might have seemed a somewhat daunting task, considering our more than low budget, and our choice to film all by hand in a rocky terrain. But it was important to us to give our sensitive story the quality it deserved
Can you make a feature film with an iPhone? Well, "yes" is the answer if you don't mind a slightly fuzzy-looking picture on a big screen, and if you sit far enough away, but you can certainly get a cinematic "look" if you use cinema-type techniques when you make your film, and some software to give your work its finishing touches.
Why is there such a huge difference in the price of some cameras, which might both be supposedly "Cinema Quality"?
- Sunday 22 Nov 2015 - (29832) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part one: understanding SSDs
- Thursday 19 Nov 2015 - (21010) Are cameras getting a bit too "DIY" these days?
- Sunday 15 Nov 2015 - (17803) The Commodore Amiga: Once upon a time this was what we used to produce digital video
- Friday 20 Nov 2015 - (13188) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Saturday 14 Nov 2015 - (9957) A revolution in cheap cine lenses? We review the Veydra MFT Primes
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (399) The end of digital signage? Or just the beginning?
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (1759) Why are CFast cards so stubbornly expensive?
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (5159) Panasonic 4K tech lets you change focus in post
- Monday 23 Nov 2015 - (2014) The evolution of editing: where will it go next?
- Monday 23 Nov 2015 - (1281) Celebrating 50 years of Super 8