Sony Professional now has a new resource to broadcast Sony 4K news, tips and curated playlists of user videos shot on Sony cameras.
It's kind of surprising to see a top-end camera like the F65 being used in smaller independent films. But the reality is that it's not so expensive and difficult to operate that it's out of range of this type of production. And here's the proof
Here's another chance to read this great article by Phil Rhodes on why cameras need global shutters. Cheaper, cinematic cameras come with a cost - they tend to have Rolling Shutters, which means that rapid movement can be skewed. The ability to buy cameras with global shutters at all price points can't come soon enough, according to Phil Rhodes
Why is there such a huge difference in the price of some cameras, which might both be supposedly "Cinema Quality"?
As we saw in my previous article on sensor technology, we can now build sensors with enormous numbers attached to them - if not trivially, at least reliably. Given that current 4K sensors are more than adequate to replace 35mm film in terms of sheer resolution, we need to be careful about turning this into a numbers game.
You wouldn't expect any film with Tom Cruise in it to be short on production values and Oblivion proves the point. Shot in shimmering 4K with Sony's F65, it relies less overtly on computer-generated special effects than other sci-fi blockbusters
RedShark Summer Replay: HDR means that TVs will be able to show videos that handle light in the same way as real-life. In our view, it's much more important than merely having more pixels, and the good news is that it's compatible with some existing cameras!
- Sunday 22 Nov 2015 - (29970) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part one: understanding SSDs
- Thursday 19 Nov 2015 - (21077) Are cameras getting a bit too "DIY" these days?
- Sunday 15 Nov 2015 - (17893) The Commodore Amiga: Once upon a time this was what we used to produce digital video
- Friday 20 Nov 2015 - (13449) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Saturday 14 Nov 2015 - (10075) A revolution in cheap cine lenses? We review the Veydra MFT Primes
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (758) RedShark Review: Sony PMW-PZ1 — 4K just got easier
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (546) Remembering Betamax: a truly game-changing tape format
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (1227) CalDigit takes wrappers off new USB C docks
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (685) The end of digital signage? Or just the beginning?
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (2894) Why are CFast cards so stubbornly expensive?