Why is there such a huge difference in the price of some cameras, which might both be supposedly "Cinema Quality"?
DaVinci Resolve 10 is one of the applications that has been optimised to run on the new Mac Pro and now, thanks to Dado Valentic from Mytherapy, we can see just how fast it runs. You may be surprised at some of the results!
You wouldn't expect any film with Tom Cruise in it to be short on production values and Oblivion proves the point. Shot in shimmering 4K with Sony's F65, it relies less overtly on computer-generated special effects than other sci-fi blockbusters
It's kind of surprising to see a top-end camera like the F65 being used in smaller independent films. But the reality is that it's not so expensive and difficult to operate that it's out of range of this type of production. And here's the proof
As we saw in my previous article on sensor technology, we can now build sensors with enormous numbers attached to them - if not trivially, at least reliably. Given that current 4K sensors are more than adequate to replace 35mm film in terms of sheer resolution, we need to be careful about turning this into a numbers game.
This is the first of two articles featuring the Sony F65 - currently widely considered to be the best cinematography camera in the world, and the only one to output a true 4K from its 8K sensor. In this RedShark exclusive, Andy Stout talks to DoP Ben Smithard about his approach to shooting period drama Belle with this 4K camera
RedShark Summer Replay: HDR means that TVs will be able to show videos that handle light in the same way as real-life. In our view, it's much more important than merely having more pixels, and the good news is that it's compatible with some existing cameras!
With Sony's F55 shaping up to be such a good device, it's reasonable to wonder about the future role of Sony's flagship camera, the F65. We spoke to Richard Lewis, Product Specialist for Cimenatography at Sony Europe, to get some definitive answers
- Sunday 7 Feb 2016 - (38581) The truth about colour. This is stuff every film-maker should know about.
- Wednesday 3 Feb 2016 - (25223) 8-bit or 10-bit? The truth may surprise you
- Tuesday 9 Feb 2016 - (10374) AJA's surprise new camera is a change of direction
- Wednesday 3 Feb 2016 - (8711) Sony's A6300: Mirrorless 4K & world's fastest autofocus for under $1K
- Monday 1 Feb 2016 - (6573) Canon updates its 4K blockbuster DSLR with the EOS-1D X MK II
- Friday 12 Feb 2016 - (329) This is what you need to throw multiple 4K images around
- Friday 12 Feb 2016 - (859) Odyssey 7Q+ to support Varicam LT V-RAW
- Friday 12 Feb 2016 - (672) Indian music and iPad: made for each other
- Thursday 11 Feb 2016 - (1091) RedShark Review: DJI Phantom 3 Advanced Drone
- Thursday 11 Feb 2016 - (4977) The powerful new Panasonic Varicam LT: Top-end features, mid-range price