With Sony's F55 shaping up to be such a good device, it's reasonable to wonder about the future role of Sony's flagship camera, the F65. We spoke to Richard Lewis, Product Specialist for Cimenatography at Sony Europe, to get some definitive answers
You may think we're hammering it a bit with the Sony F65, what with our piece on Belle, and with our forthcoming article on what differentiates the F65 from the F55, but let's be clear about this: we are actually at the point where you can make better films with video than you ever could with celluloid - and that's worth a significant amount of coverage
You wouldn't expect any film with Tom Cruise in it to be short on production values and Oblivion proves the point. Shot in shimmering 4K with Sony's F65, it relies less overtly on computer-generated special effects than other sci-fi blockbusters
RedShark Replay: Why is there such a huge difference in the price of some cameras, which might both be supposedly "Cinema Quality"?
Phil Rhodes takes a detailed look at the Sony FS5, a small yet powerful 4K shooter, and considers its place in an increasingly crowded market.
IBC is a convention for the moving image industry that is second only to NAB. It's an event that's amazing in its size and scope. We haven't been around long enough to have our own official awards, so here's my own ideosyncratic top three from this year's show, in reverse order
- Tuesday 6 Dec 2016 - (14500) The RED Epic-W: the best dual purpose still/cinematography camera yet?
- Monday 28 Nov 2016 - (7966) Windows vs macOS: Does it even matter anymore?
- Sunday 27 Nov 2016 - (7193) RED’s radical Helium S35 8K sensor: the story so far
- Friday 2 Dec 2016 - (4154) The Panasonic HC-X1 - the new breed of ENG
- Thursday 1 Dec 2016 - (4032) Big Lightworks news: Version 14 public beta is released with a new User Interface
- Thursday 8 Dec 2016 - (85) Imagineer ramps up mocha Pro features
- Thursday 8 Dec 2016 - (390) Learn Resolve editing from importing media to final delivery
- Wednesday 7 Dec 2016 - (518) Miller ArrowX 3 tripod on test: it's all a question of balance
- Wednesday 7 Dec 2016 - (1372) Sony FS7 II out and about in New York [footage]
- Wednesday 7 Dec 2016 - (440) Steerable lasers: is this how video projectors will work in the future?