The battle for cheaper 4K+ acquisition is heating up. Just a few days ago, Sony announced the F5 and the F55, and a constellation of accessories that comprise their new 4K ecosystem. Not to be outdone, RED, perhaps in a ploy to steal some of Sony’s thunder, made its own announcement, via CEO Jim Jannard’s post on the REDuser forum:
RedShark contributor Phil Rhodes pointed out something to me the other day that sounds obvious when you hear it: that camera makers never used to make film, and yet - if you can remember that far back - it is the film that determines the quality and feel of the photograph (and the lens, of course), not the camera
RED and, say, Sony are diametrically different in so many ways, and perhaps no more so than in the way that the EPIC manufacturer absolutely loves to let information about new products seep from every pore
Using just a single RED Epic and a simple 75mm master prime… oh, and an old building crammed with actors, dancers, acrobats, complex lighting, technicians, directors, producers and the film crew, this amazingly complex video was captured at 300 fps in a single shot
We're very excited about this video. It is filmed using HDR (High Dynamic Range) and gives the video a very distinctive look that is entirely appropriate for its subject matter: New York. And it may just be a very important moment in the history of film-making
RedShark Technical Editor Phil Rhodes profiles Monocle, a new utility from ClipToolz that converts raw color into a black-and-white result that approaches a 'true' monochromatic image.
- Friday 17 Feb 2017 - (16773) Panasonic GH5 Review: the first full hands-on report
- Sunday 19 Feb 2017 - (12061) The dramatic ways that technology has changed editing
- Monday 6 Feb 2017 - (10889) Blackmagic just made broadcasting cheaper and easier
- Tuesday 7 Feb 2017 - (7103) Sony launches documentary film contest [sponsored]
- Tuesday 14 Feb 2017 - (5802) DJI Osmo Mobile: good run and gun on a budget?
- Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 - (72) Phantom Flex4K adds global shutter to high speed options
- Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 - (199) Planet Earth II to showcase what UHD Blu-ray can really do
- Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 - (1114) Sony’s new FE lenses: a first hands-on
- Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 - (1043) The Accusys Thunderbolt T3 is fast shared storage for your Thunderbolt devices [sponsored]
- Monday 20 Feb 2017 - (901) RedShark Live: How to shoot for HDR