RedShark contributor Phil Rhodes pointed out something to me the other day that sounds obvious when you hear it: that camera makers never used to make film, and yet - if you can remember that far back - it is the film that determines the quality and feel of the photograph (and the lens, of course), not the camera
The battle for cheaper 4K+ acquisition is heating up. Just a few days ago, Sony announced the F5 and the F55, and a constellation of accessories that comprise their new 4K ecosystem. Not to be outdone, RED, perhaps in a ploy to steal some of Sony’s thunder, made its own announcement, via CEO Jim Jannard’s post on the REDuser forum:
Using just a single RED Epic and a simple 75mm master prime… oh, and an old building crammed with actors, dancers, acrobats, complex lighting, technicians, directors, producers and the film crew, this amazingly complex video was captured at 300 fps in a single shot
RED and, say, Sony are diametrically different in so many ways, and perhaps no more so than in the way that the EPIC manufacturer absolutely loves to let information about new products seep from every pore
We're very excited about this video. It is filmed using HDR (High Dynamic Range) and gives the video a very distinctive look that is entirely appropriate for its subject matter: New York. And it may just be a very important moment in the history of film-making
Proving the axiom that not all firmware updates are created equal, RED packs a punch via its ‘Build 4’
- Monday 23 May 2016 - (22773) Nvidia's GTX 1080: Is this the end of Mac-based video production?
- Saturday 14 May 2016 - (20688) The Commodore Amiga: Once upon a time this was what we used to produce digital video
- Saturday 21 May 2016 - (20393) The Sony A7S - a camera born for astrophotography
- Friday 13 May 2016 - (13092) Five things a Colorist would like to say to a DP
- Friday 13 May 2016 - (10888) 7 Free Motion Design Assets for Video Editors [sponsored]
- Friday 27 May 2016 - (292) BBC finds rare Attenborough 'Zoo Quest' colour footage
- Friday 27 May 2016 - (1140) Olympus' impressive new action cam challenges GoPro
- Friday 27 May 2016 - (5588) The Sony PXW-Z150: “It is astounding what Sony has achieved for this price.”
- Thursday 26 May 2016 - (1011) Are we ready for driverless...cameras?
- Thursday 26 May 2016 - (4620) Adobe to add native ProRes support to Windows software