The battle for cheaper 4K+ acquisition is heating up. Just a few days ago, Sony announced the F5 and the F55, and a constellation of accessories that comprise their new 4K ecosystem. Not to be outdone, RED, perhaps in a ploy to steal some of Sony’s thunder, made its own announcement, via CEO Jim Jannard’s post on the REDuser forum:
RedShark Technical Editor Phil Rhodes profiles Monocle, a new utility from ClipToolz that converts raw color into a black-and-white result that approaches a 'true' monochromatic image.
We're very excited about this video. It is filmed using HDR (High Dynamic Range) and gives the video a very distinctive look that is entirely appropriate for its subject matter: New York. And it may just be a very important moment in the history of film-making
Using just a single RED Epic and a simple 75mm master prime… oh, and an old building crammed with actors, dancers, acrobats, complex lighting, technicians, directors, producers and the film crew, this amazingly complex video was captured at 300 fps in a single shot
RED and, say, Sony are diametrically different in so many ways, and perhaps no more so than in the way that the EPIC manufacturer absolutely loves to let information about new products seep from every pore
RedShark contributor Phil Rhodes pointed out something to me the other day that sounds obvious when you hear it: that camera makers never used to make film, and yet - if you can remember that far back - it is the film that determines the quality and feel of the photograph (and the lens, of course), not the camera
Proving the axiom that not all firmware updates are created equal, RED packs a punch via its ‘Build 4’
- Monday 16 Jan 2017 - (21345) Just how good is AMD's impressive new Ryzen CPU?
- Friday 13 Jan 2017 - (16652) Why FCPX 10.3 is the NLE of the future
- Sunday 22 Jan 2017 - (9797) How the internet echo chamber fails new cameras
- Friday 20 Jan 2017 - (9046) The Sony FS7 II and why it absolutely is a big deal
- Tuesday 10 Jan 2017 - (8909) RED Helium is the "best sensor ever" according to DxO
- Wednesday 25 Jan 2017 - (118) Is Apple investigating VR? Of course it is!
- Tuesday 24 Jan 2017 - (475) The Core SWX Hypercore Slim: a battery with an accelerometer
- Tuesday 24 Jan 2017 - (4385) The new Canon EOS C700 impresses in the field
- Tuesday 24 Jan 2017 - (3033) Razer Blade GTX 1060 review: why stop at gaming?
- Monday 23 Jan 2017 - (1987) Want to make a feature film? This is how much money you will really need