The new Panasonic Lumix GH3 builds on its predecessor's video-friendly credentials, offering better compression and an all-round improved package. RedShark regular contributor Mark McCarthy of Sparky Media Productions bought one, and put it through its paces
Canon has just announced the EOS-1D X Mark II, an update for its four year-old flagship DSLR which both increases resolution and adds internal 4K video.
Ever since DSLRs started became capable of recording high definition video, their audio capabilities have lagged behind. Some people have got round this by using external field recorders, but the ones that have included "proper" audio - XLR sockets, phantom power and good preamps, have added enormously to the cost of a DSLR rig
For most people, repetition represents boredom. Doing the same thing again and again means not doing new things. A lack of innovation. An absence of creativity. But sometimes, the ability to repeat something, precisely and consistently, opens up new creative options, and can be instrumental in making something wonderful. Here's a perfect example
Low contrast modes are popular with DSLR cinematographers wanting to extend the dynamic range of their footage. It seems a good idea in theory - but does it really add up? Phil Rhodes investigates
Developments in the field of magic lantern raw video continue to grow with news that developers have managed to get raw video support up and running on the Canon 50D, a 5 year old camera that predates the Canon 5D Mark II and which shipped without any video capability at all!
The Panasonic Lumix GH3 keeps amazing us with the quality of the video it can create in capable hands. Regular RedShark contributor Mark McCarthy of Sparky Media Productions takes us to Abu Dhabi, capital of the United Arab Emirates, where the clear skies, geometric patterns and striking buildings are the perfect way to test a camera
- Sunday 7 Feb 2016 - (38347) The truth about colour. This is stuff every film-maker should know about.
- Wednesday 3 Feb 2016 - (25043) 8-bit or 10-bit? The truth may surprise you
- Tuesday 9 Feb 2016 - (9865) AJA's surprise new camera is a change of direction
- Wednesday 3 Feb 2016 - (8520) Sony's A6300: Mirrorless 4K & world's fastest autofocus for under $1K
- Monday 1 Feb 2016 - (6435) Canon updates its 4K blockbuster DSLR with the EOS-1D X MK II
- Thursday 11 Feb 2016 - (1) RedShark Review: DJI Phantom 3 Advanced Drone
- Thursday 11 Feb 2016 - (1722) The powerful new Panasonic Varicam LT: Top-end features, mid-range price
- Thursday 11 Feb 2016 - (599) 101 uses for a GoPro camera
- Wednesday 10 Feb 2016 - (1064) How to shoot good interviews
- Wednesday 10 Feb 2016 - (966) What Dell's cryptic press release about security really means