Ned Soltz admits he doesn't usually venture opinions of products based merely upon the spec sheet, but he's willing to make an exception for the newly-announced Panasonic Varicam LT.
Though it has been inevitably overshadowed by the Ursa Mini 4.6K, Simon Wyndham reckons that the Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera is well worth a look for specialist uses and more.
There is always a frisson of excitement generated by big chip cameras, but that doesn’t mean they are always the best answer to the job in hand.
In case this seems like a really downbeat title for an article, please let me reassure you that it’s not. In fact it’s more of a tale about a really nice world where nice people say nice things to each other, and, ultimately, get their broken cameras fixed. Or something like that....
There have been a lot of lukewarm comments about Sony’s FS7 II recently, but Ned Soltz begs to differ. If you are mounting heavy lenses, wanting to shoot with precise DOF consistency or shooting HDR for broadcast standards, then the FS7 II is a big deal.
Occasionally we like to dip our toes into the occasionally murky waters of the crowd-funding websites and, with the usual proviso that everything we talk about has already been 100% backed, here’s a selection of the latest gadgets and gizmos.
Nearly a year after initially putting down a deposit for a Scarlet-W, Rakesh Malik now finally has $30,000 worth of Epic-W in his hands and discovers that it could be the ideal mixed still and cinematography camera for anyone serious about either format.
Even with the torrid pace of change in the camera and video worlds, you can expect more change to come from surprising sources.
Following CIPA’s (the Camera & Imaging Products Association) publication of the official 2014 numbers for the photography industry, LensVid has updated its remarkably useful infographic and accompanying video charting what can only really be descibed as the industry's decline. It’s sobering reading.
- Sunday 8 Jan 2017 - (24599) Coveted by top movie makers, this is how Cooke makes their lenses
- Monday 16 Jan 2017 - (20450) Just how good is AMD's impressive new Ryzen CPU?
- Friday 13 Jan 2017 - (15952) Why FCPX 10.3 is the NLE of the future
- Tuesday 10 Jan 2017 - (8465) RED Helium is the "best sensor ever" according to DxO
- Tuesday 10 Jan 2017 - (5970) The Panasonic FZ80: 4K for under $400
- Saturday 21 Jan 2017 - (80) A behind-the-scenes look at The Last Starfighter and the very early days of CG
- Friday 20 Jan 2017 - (876) Metabones announces fifth generation EF To E mount adapters
- Friday 20 Jan 2017 - (5399) The Sony FS7 II and why it absolutely is a big deal
- Friday 20 Jan 2017 - (786) Some stunning work using the Phantom Miro
- Thursday 19 Jan 2017 - (2323) The "iPhone" of the video industry? [sponsored]