There is always a frisson of excitement generated by big chip cameras, but that doesn’t mean they are always the best answer to the job in hand.
Sony releases the A7 and A7R mirrorless full-frame cameras
One interesting perspective available from the halls of NAB if you knew who to talk to came from the hire company/equipment rental bosses who, faced with yet more camera models and accessories to be added to their fleets, are starting to feel the strain.
Since it was announced last year, the Panasonic GH5 has been making waves throughout the industry. RedShark has got its hands on one of the first production models released and, in our comprehensive hands-on review below, you can find out exactly what all the fuss is about. This is a game-changer.
The paralysis of choice: The modern camera has a vast array of available features, but too often we find ourselves having to jump through hoops to get basic usability via add-ons, or standing in front of a bewilderingly long and involved menu scratched our heads trying to work out what it is we actually want. Just like buying a coffee. As Simon Wyndham writes, this needs to change.
From the opening days of CES onwards, 2016 was awash with new cameras that pushed every level of the industry onwards to ever greater heights. From the prosumer DSLRs to the rarefied high-end of 8K shooting, here are some of the highlights.
We have become so used to technological progress with mainstream video cameras being dizzyingly relentless that it’s almost a shock to come across a field where the dominant models are two years old and, as yet, there are no new ones on the horizon.
Occasionally we like to dip our toes into the occasionally murky waters of the crowd-funding websites and, with the usual proviso that everything we talk about has already been 100% backed, here’s a selection of the latest gadgets and gizmos.
RedShark has obtained one of the very first production-quality Panasonic GH5 cameras and we'll have expert Richard Payne from Holdan talking live with RedShark Editor-In-Chief, David Shapton, about the camera from our studio. We'll also have Jason Diamond, Cinematographer, live from NYC.
- Friday 17 Feb 2017 - (18897) Panasonic GH5 Review: the first full hands-on report
- Sunday 19 Feb 2017 - (12455) The dramatic ways that technology has changed editing
- Saturday 25 Feb 2017 - (12434) How to completely break the rules with colour
- Friday 24 Feb 2017 - (7885) Sony mirrorless cameras’ secret super power: Clear Image Zoom
- Friday 17 Feb 2017 - (6752) Transform Your Video With Light Leak Overlays (+ Freebie Inside) [sponsored]
- Tuesday 28 Feb 2017 - (306) Space X: The coolest video we saw last week
- Monday 27 Feb 2017 - (767) Sony Xperia XZ Premium: the extreme slo-mo cellphone
- Monday 27 Feb 2017 - (240) How driverless cars will lead to better cameras
- Monday 27 Feb 2017 - (3110) Panasonic GH5 noise reduction appears to be spectacular
- Sunday 26 Feb 2017 - (1565) Fire at Sea: How to grade for documentary