We have become so used to technological progress with mainstream video cameras being dizzyingly relentless that it’s almost a shock to come across a field where the dominant models are two years old and, as yet, there are no new ones on the horizon.
Recently, I had to buy a new toaster. You would think this was a simple process: it’s not. And the problems I encountered along the way tell us a lot about what is wrong with buying technology today.
The ARRI Alexa has become hugely popular due to the intelligent processing and the delicious image it creates.The company’s latest camera, the Amira, thus has an exceptional pedigree and, in this review of the first Amira in Australasia by Kiwi cinematographer Donny Duncan, proves to be a pretty exceptional camera too.
In our article How should we test cameras? we asked what was better: unblinking scientific testing or judging on the perceived quality of the image, and we discussed some of the issues surrounding camera evaluations. But we thought it was only right to get the perspective from the people on the front-end doing the reviews themselves. Here, Phil Rhodes talks about objectivity vs subjectivity.
With the recent news that the new ARRI ALEXA SXT uses the same sensor as its prececessor, we ask whether innovation in cameras is slowing down
You can now buy six of Amazon’s new colour Kindles (i.e. a fully-fledged tablet) for $250. It was eye popping enough to see the price for individual tablets, which is $50, but if you buy five, you get an additional one free. Is this degree of commoditisation about to happen to cameras?
- Wednesday 3 Feb 2016 - (23853) 8-bit or 10-bit? The truth may surprise you
- Sunday 24 Jan 2016 - (22650) How to understand "Log" or Cine-style recordings
- Monday 25 Jan 2016 - (14839) Building a powerful Intel Skylake video editing workstation
- Friday 22 Jan 2016 - (8776) Shooting on Super 8 in the 21st century
- Monday 1 Feb 2016 - (5917) Canon updates its 4K blockbuster DSLR with the EOS-1D X MK II
- Saturday 6 Feb 2016 - (11) Oscar season reveals some stunning vfx work
- Friday 5 Feb 2016 - (1466) Resolve 12.3, FCP 10.2.3 and more - it’s Super Update Friday
- Friday 5 Feb 2016 - (1584) Sponsored: IP will change everything you know about connecting video
- Friday 5 Feb 2016 - (2158) Lightworks 12.6 Free adds 1080p Vimeo export plus huge discounts
- Thursday 4 Feb 2016 - (2734) Log recording, noise and the Sony FS5