Open Source software. Somehow, it makes sense: talented developers contribute to projects in their spare time and the result is often stunningly good software. So what about Open Source hardware? That's different, and it's far more difficult
We’ll be one of the first to get our hands on a production version of this amazing device so keep watching for our hands-on review!
This is the first of our series looking at people who run a video production business focusing on their strategy and their technology. Mark McCarthy of Sparky Media Productions specialises in very high quality video which is increasingly obtainable on lower-cost equipment - although he's not afraid to use high-end kit where necessary.
RedShark contributor Freya looks at new ways to get your footage off your camera and back to base
I recently had several hours to play with a pre-release Sony PMW-F55 camera. Sony also supplied me with 2 64gb SxsPro+ cards, the AXS-5 4K recorder, one AXSM 4K media storage, the new LCD viewfinder, the new Olivine battery, and last but hardly least, a new Sony 85mm prime lens
This holiday we're re-running some of our most popular articles, in case you didn't see them the first time. Today: Electronics is so completely integrated now that building new equipment is just a matter of glueing together a few parts you can buy from the Internet. Is this true? And is this the biggest threat to traditional camera manufacturers? In this article, we investigate this, and the background to it, in detail
The big camera announcements this year have been for large (in terms of capability), top-end cinema-type devices. That's all very exciting. But it does actually take time for cameras to be evaluated, bought, and then used in a production. That's why we're only just starting to see major feature films being made with Sony's natively 4K F65 (After Earth, with Will Smith, for example)
- Sunday 27 Sep 2015 - (47245) Five top tips for colorists
- Tuesday 22 Sep 2015 - (17676) Review - Blackmagic Ursa Mini 4K: The most interesting camera of the decade?
- Wednesday 30 Sep 2015 - (13253) Why working for free is a bad idea
- Friday 25 Sep 2015 - (12350) Full details of the new RED Raven
- Thursday 24 Sep 2015 - (11463) World's fastest video codec can handle 16K
- Wednesday 7 Oct 2015 - (177) You can't always trust your television
- Tuesday 6 Oct 2015 - (1223) The new normal: expect surprises
- Tuesday 6 Oct 2015 - (2269) RedShark Review: Dell Ultrasharp U3415W Monitor
- Monday 5 Oct 2015 - (2338) HP unveils revamped workstations and hints at Skylake
- Monday 5 Oct 2015 - (5429) RedShark Review: AJA Cion out in the real world