I recently had several hours to play with a pre-release Sony PMW-F55 camera. Sony also supplied me with 2 64gb SxsPro+ cards, the AXS-5 4K recorder, one AXSM 4K media storage, the new LCD viewfinder, the new Olivine battery, and last but hardly least, a new Sony 85mm prime lens
We've just written about the paucity of 4K from Panasonic at NAB this year. Meanwhile, Sparky Media Productions has sent us another stunning set of shots taken in Hong Kong with their Panasonic GH3: a digital still camera that outperforms Panasonic's own AF100 (their large-sensor video camera)
There's always a moment when the harsh nature of reality is crystallised; when however hard you try, you can't pretend any more that things are OK. For most people, this type of thing happens when they get their first credit card bill after Christmas. For Red, one imagines, their corporate hearts stopped for a moment last Tuesday, 30th October, when Sony revealed the scale of their new camera ecosystem.
This is the first of our series looking at people who run a video production business focusing on their strategy and their technology. Mark McCarthy of Sparky Media Productions specialises in very high quality video which is increasingly obtainable on lower-cost equipment - although he's not afraid to use high-end kit where necessary.
So, we've seen the announcement from Sony of two new 4K cameras, new codecs, new recording media and a new 30" 4K LCD monitor. Just how significant is this, and is this the 4K Tipping Point, at least for production, if not all the way to the home?
Open Source software. Somehow, it makes sense: talented developers contribute to projects in their spare time and the result is often stunningly good software. So what about Open Source hardware? That's different, and it's far more difficult
- Friday 17 Feb 2017 - (17231) Panasonic GH5 Review: the first full hands-on report
- Sunday 19 Feb 2017 - (12154) The dramatic ways that technology has changed editing
- Tuesday 7 Feb 2017 - (7122) Sony launches documentary film contest [sponsored]
- Tuesday 14 Feb 2017 - (5842) DJI Osmo Mobile: good run and gun on a budget?
- Friday 17 Feb 2017 - (5495) Transform Your Video With Light Leak Overlays (+ Freebie Inside) [sponsored]
- Wednesday 22 Feb 2017 - (142) Fujifilm releases radical new MK lenses
- Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 - (523) Phantom Flex4K adds global shutter to high speed options
- Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 - (1454) Planet Earth II to showcase what UHD Blu-ray can really do
- Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 - (1823) Sony’s new FE lenses: a first hands-on
- Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 - (1386) The Accusys Thunderbolt T3 is fast shared storage for your Thunderbolt devices [sponsored]