You may have heard that one of the top camera manufacturers is taking legal action against another for alleged patent infringement. This is news, but there's very little point in speculating about the outcome at this stage. Only a select group of people working for those companies will have access to evidence that proves the rights or wrongs of the case. We certainly don't
The conventional view is that cameras that allow you to work with multiple lenses are always better. Barry Braverman disagrees.
One from the archives: It’s a great pity that in order to enjoy the benefits of digital imaging, we must use pixels that may only be one of a comparatively small selection of colours, as opposed to the effectively infinite subtlety of nature. Phil Rhodes spreads light and understanding about quantization and noise.
Ned Soltz, our East Coast correspondent, has all the details on the new Sony pricing, and how it will stir up the Digital Cinematography marketplace
This is the first of our series looking at people who run a video production business focusing on their strategy and their technology. Mark McCarthy of Sparky Media Productions specialises in very high quality video which is increasingly obtainable on lower-cost equipment - although he's not afraid to use high-end kit where necessary.
Last year at NAB, Panasonic revealed its concept for a 4K varicam camcorder. And what a concept it was, with a large sensor and a revolutionary Android-based user interface. It looked like a genuinely new and refreshing idea for the incoming era of 4K or Ultra High Definition
- Wednesday 3 Feb 2016 - (23824) 8-bit or 10-bit? The truth may surprise you
- Sunday 24 Jan 2016 - (22641) How to understand "Log" or Cine-style recordings
- Monday 25 Jan 2016 - (14825) Building a powerful Intel Skylake video editing workstation
- Friday 22 Jan 2016 - (8766) Shooting on Super 8 in the 21st century
- Monday 1 Feb 2016 - (5910) Canon updates its 4K blockbuster DSLR with the EOS-1D X MK II
- Friday 5 Feb 2016 - (1367) Resolve 12.3, FCP 10.2.3 and more - it’s Super Update Friday
- Friday 5 Feb 2016 - (1498) Sponsored: IP will change everything you know about connecting video
- Friday 5 Feb 2016 - (2075) Lightworks 12.6 Free adds 1080p Vimeo export plus huge discounts
- Thursday 4 Feb 2016 - (2696) Log recording, noise and the Sony FS5
- Thursday 4 Feb 2016 - (1882) Can Sky Q save the traditional broadcast industry?