Baz Lurhmann's The Great Gatsby is built not around expensive sets but probably some of the best CGI ever seen (well, we should probably say "apart from Gravity" - which, although it's in a CGI league of it's own, is not exactly a historical costume drama)
The blockbuster science-fiction movie look is now available to anyone with a good story, creative vision and persistance.
It's well-documented that the VFX industry is in a state of flux. Meanwhile, there's a new generation of CGI artists. Here's a piece made by students from the Platige Academy. It's their impressive short 'How to Train Your Robot'.
With computer graphics power increasing faster than Moore's Law, we've come a long way in seventeen years...
This is a picture that looks more like a photograph than a photograph. And whereas a photograph can be made in an instant - you can imagine the time it took Brazillian artist Gilvan Isbiro to create this masterpiece
In advance of Siggraph 2015, a team of researchers from the University of Southern California details a process for making CGI skin more realistic, taking us one step closer to finally bridging that 'Uncanny Valley'.
- Sunday 22 Nov 2015 - (30029) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part one: understanding SSDs
- Thursday 19 Nov 2015 - (21120) Are cameras getting a bit too "DIY" these days?
- Sunday 15 Nov 2015 - (17942) The Commodore Amiga: Once upon a time this was what we used to produce digital video
- Friday 20 Nov 2015 - (13567) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Saturday 14 Nov 2015 - (10157) A revolution in cheap cine lenses? We review the Veydra MFT Primes
- Thursday 26 Nov 2015 - (456) How to colour correct on unsuitable monitors
- Thursday 26 Nov 2015 - (9432) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part two: using SSDs
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (1338) RedShark Review: Sony PMW-PZ1 — 4K just got easier
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (770) Remembering Betamax: a truly game-changing tape format
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (1598) CalDigit takes wrappers off new USB C docks