This holiday we're re-running some of our most popular articles, in case you didn't see them the first time. Today: have you ever heard the collective sound of several hundred people's jaws dropping? If you've been to a cinema where they're showing the Life of Pi for the first time, then you probably have
How did they make that - thing - move?
With computer graphics power increasing faster than Moore's Law, we've come a long way in seventeen years...
The term 'Uncanny Valley' was originally coined by Japanese robotics professor Masahiro Mori back in 1980 and suggests that as we get close to human realism a huge dip in a ‘familiarity’ graph occurs, indicating a sudden negative response. Now the Digital Human League, a superteam of Hollywood visual effects artists and researchers, is looking to bridge the gap with the creation of convincing synthetic humans.
There’s more to Laika’s latest animated movie The Boxtrolls than meets the eye, not least in the way this ostensibly stop-motion creation seamlessly utilises modern animation techniques and even 3D printing to tell its wonderfully dark, critcally-acclaimed and subversive story.
Pixar's new animation system allows animators to visualise their characters with all the important detail visible. Like hair!
- Sunday 29 Nov 2015 - (43760) Building a Resolve 12 system for $500
- Sunday 22 Nov 2015 - (30554) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part one: understanding SSDs
- Thursday 19 Nov 2015 - (21507) Are cameras getting a bit too "DIY" these days?
- Friday 27 Nov 2015 - (19518) Telling a story in four seconds using 600fps SlowMo
- Friday 20 Nov 2015 - (14600) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Wednesday 2 Dec 2015 - (224) How real life can trump VFX - even in space
- Tuesday 1 Dec 2015 - (1075) RedShark Exclusive Competition: Win a Panasonic DVX200 - one of the most talked about cameras of the year
- Tuesday 1 Dec 2015 - (665) Will AMD's new CAD-centric FirePro W4300 graphics card also be good for film?
- Tuesday 1 Dec 2015 - (5708) This is how ARRI makes cameras - RedShark Exclusive
- Tuesday 1 Dec 2015 - (2285) Why is LiFi suddenly in the news?