Here's an exciting and rather insipiring new sci-fi short, Atropa, featuring gorgeous visuals and deft direction, all of which has been achieved on a shoestring budget.
Is CGI actually making films less convincing?
A really great resource for anyone wanting to learn this complex software
Baz Lurhmann's The Great Gatsby is built not around expensive sets but probably some of the best CGI ever seen (well, we should probably say "apart from Gravity" - which, although it's in a CGI league of it's own, is not exactly a historical costume drama)
It's really, really hard to create a GGI human face that's convincing. If you know this, then you also know the reason why so many blockbuster movies (Antz, Bug's life, Cars, WALL•E etc) have been about things and not humans
Guest author and Blender expert Gottfried Hofmann details the new features in Blender 2.75, the latest version of the popular and increasingly powerful open source 3D modelling and animation suite, including stereoscopic workflow and Cycles on AMD GPUs.
Have a close look at this video clip. It’s an advert for a high-end kitchen worktop manufacturer. Watch it in 720p, and look as closely as you can at the camerawork, the clever use of depth of field, the lighting, and particularly the fresh fruit.
And then reflect on the fact that no cameras - or indeed fruit - were involved in the making of this at all.
- Sunday 22 Nov 2015 - (29988) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part one: understanding SSDs
- Thursday 19 Nov 2015 - (21091) Are cameras getting a bit too "DIY" these days?
- Sunday 15 Nov 2015 - (17907) The Commodore Amiga: Once upon a time this was what we used to produce digital video
- Friday 20 Nov 2015 - (13487) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Saturday 14 Nov 2015 - (10103) A revolution in cheap cine lenses? We review the Veydra MFT Primes
- Thursday 26 Nov 2015 - (9089) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part two: using SSDs
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (987) RedShark Review: Sony PMW-PZ1 — 4K just got easier
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (637) Remembering Betamax: a truly game-changing tape format
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (1366) CalDigit takes wrappers off new USB C docks
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (716) The end of digital signage? Or just the beginning?