Have a close look at this video clip. It’s an advert for a high-end kitchen worktop manufacturer. Watch it in 720p, and look as closely as you can at the camerawork, the clever use of depth of field, the lighting, and particularly the fresh fruit.
And then reflect on the fact that no cameras - or indeed fruit - were involved in the making of this at all.
Weta Digital is at it again! This time, the red-hot VFX house is inventing new ways to overrun the Earth with primates, as evidenced by an illuminating behind the scenes featurette for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.
The Blender Foundation has released Blender 2.70 – the first release of the 2.7x-series. That series will incorporate major changes to the UI. But unlike the switch from the 2.4x to the 2.5x-series, the changes will be integrated gradually
Guest author and Blender expert Gottfried Hofmann details the new features in Blender 2.75, the latest version of the popular and increasingly powerful open source 3D modelling and animation suite, including stereoscopic workflow and Cycles on AMD GPUs.
It's well-documented that the VFX industry is in a state of flux. Meanwhile, there's a new generation of CGI artists. Here's a piece made by students from the Platige Academy. It's their impressive short 'How to Train Your Robot'.
The quest to find the way out of the Uncanny Valley is making progress
A new cityscape generator from Video Copilot could save hours, if not years...
Here's an exciting and rather insipiring new sci-fi short, Atropa, featuring gorgeous visuals and deft direction, all of which has been achieved on a shoestring budget.
- Sunday 22 Nov 2015 - (29941) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part one: understanding SSDs
- Thursday 19 Nov 2015 - (21051) Are cameras getting a bit too "DIY" these days?
- Sunday 15 Nov 2015 - (17879) The Commodore Amiga: Once upon a time this was what we used to produce digital video
- Friday 20 Nov 2015 - (13375) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Saturday 14 Nov 2015 - (10050) A revolution in cheap cine lenses? We review the Veydra MFT Primes
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (383) Remembering Betamax: a truly game-changing tape format
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (956) CalDigit takes wrappers off new USB C docks
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (620) The end of digital signage? Or just the beginning?
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (2603) Why are CFast cards so stubbornly expensive?
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (6361) Panasonic 4K tech lets you change focus in post