The rise of Periscope and Meerkat has been one of the most significant stories for the tech industry this year, but alongside their already fearsome reputation in online piracy we reckon they have an important role to play for film makers too.
While many production houses and broadcasters are adopting 4K workflows, guest author Fran de Souza, who resides on the border between Uruguay and Brazil, details his television station's struggle in transitioning from SD to HD broadcast in 2015 and the stroke of ingenuity that made it happen.
The UK’s first 4G network, EE (formerly Everything Everywhere), goes live in a selection of UK cities on October 30, but for a broadcast industry looking to push content to mobile there has been some dismay about the data caps the network is imposing. Everything Everywhere? Not quite.
NAB, which is without any question the time and place each year when the biggest announcements are made, is only three weeks away. We'll be there in force, bringing you the most important stories. Meanwhile, it's useful to see what others are predicting at the show
This is a very small camera, but - make no mistake - it's broadcast quality. Panasonic Guru Barry Braverman looks at it in detail
Why do we even bother shooting high quality footage when satellite and terrestrial broadcast compression throws it all away?
One phrase you’ll hear a lot wherever the broadcast industry gathers is ‘disruptive technologies’, by which people typically mean that the internet is challenging all the business models and assumptions that have powered the industry for decades. With recent news that BitTorrent is now muscling in on their space, it might have to reach for a new, more apocalyptic description
Anyone remember Betacam SP? There wasn't anything particularly clever about it, just a good standard workhorse of a tape format that, for more than a decade, more or less technically defined what you could and couldn't put on TV.
- Sunday 27 Sep 2015 - (47359) Five top tips for colorists
- Wednesday 30 Sep 2015 - (13544) Why working for free is a bad idea
- Friday 25 Sep 2015 - (12418) Full details of the new RED Raven
- Thursday 24 Sep 2015 - (11515) World's fastest video codec can handle 16K
- Tuesday 29 Sep 2015 - (9156) Why the film look still matters in the digital age
- Wednesday 7 Oct 2015 - (314) Roku 4 adds 4K streaming
- Wednesday 7 Oct 2015 - (740) RE:Vison Effects anti-flicker plugins now available for Nuke, Fusion and other OpenFX hosts
- Wednesday 7 Oct 2015 - (574) You can't always trust your television
- Tuesday 6 Oct 2015 - (1617) The new normal: expect surprises
- Tuesday 6 Oct 2015 - (2487) RedShark Review: Dell Ultrasharp U3415W Monitor