Over the Christmas period in the UK, Downton Abbey beat EastEnders in the ratings, which could be seen as an indicator of what style of production both UK and American audiences prefer.
Anyone remember Betacam SP? There wasn't anything particularly clever about it, just a good standard workhorse of a tape format that, for more than a decade, more or less technically defined what you could and couldn't put on TV.
The rise of Periscope and Meerkat has been one of the most significant stories for the tech industry this year, but alongside their already fearsome reputation in online piracy we reckon they have an important role to play for film makers too.
Al Jazeera has announced its purchase of US broadcaster Current TV for an undisclosed amount. Unconfirmed speculation places the purchase price in the $400-500 million range
One phrase you’ll hear a lot wherever the broadcast industry gathers is ‘disruptive technologies’, by which people typically mean that the internet is challenging all the business models and assumptions that have powered the industry for decades. With recent news that BitTorrent is now muscling in on their space, it might have to reach for a new, more apocalyptic description
Why do we even bother shooting high quality footage when satellite and terrestrial broadcast compression throws it all away?
The UK’s first 4G network, EE (formerly Everything Everywhere), goes live in a selection of UK cities on October 30, but for a broadcast industry looking to push content to mobile there has been some dismay about the data caps the network is imposing. Everything Everywhere? Not quite.
- Saturday 24 Sep 2016 - (34574) Did someone wipe the moon landing tapes?
- Saturday 17 Sep 2016 - (28093) Why are some cameras so expensive while others are so cheap?
- Thursday 22 Sep 2016 - (23318) Vintage lenses for large-sensor cameras - Part 1
- Monday 19 Sep 2016 - (7070) Panasonic unveils new GH5 prototype
- Thursday 22 Sep 2016 - (6143) VEGAS is back, and it's in very good shape
- Saturday 1 Oct 2016 - (661) Want so see what the RED Helium can do? Here’s some footage…
- Friday 30 Sep 2016 - (650) The best quality video you will ever see
- Friday 30 Sep 2016 - (991) iZotope announces its newest mixing plug-in: Neutron
- Friday 30 Sep 2016 - (3950) How the GoPro Karma and DJI Mavic drones will change the industry
- Thursday 29 Sep 2016 - (3884) Low light photography continues to impress