While many production houses and broadcasters are adopting 4K workflows, guest author Fran de Souza, who resides on the border between Uruguay and Brazil, details his television station's struggle in transitioning from SD to HD broadcast in 2015 and the stroke of ingenuity that made it happen.
The UK’s first 4G network, EE (formerly Everything Everywhere), goes live in a selection of UK cities on October 30, but for a broadcast industry looking to push content to mobile there has been some dismay about the data caps the network is imposing. Everything Everywhere? Not quite.
Why do we even bother shooting high quality footage when satellite and terrestrial broadcast compression throws it all away?
Anyone remember Betacam SP? There wasn't anything particularly clever about it, just a good standard workhorse of a tape format that, for more than a decade, more or less technically defined what you could and couldn't put on TV.
The rise of Periscope and Meerkat has been one of the most significant stories for the tech industry this year, but alongside their already fearsome reputation in online piracy we reckon they have an important role to play for film makers too.
This is a very small camera, but - make no mistake - it's broadcast quality. Panasonic Guru Barry Braverman looks at it in detail
To mark the occasion of the new year, our editor has asked me to come up with some predictions for the coming twelve months
- Sunday 22 Nov 2015 - (29915) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part one: understanding SSDs
- Thursday 19 Nov 2015 - (21036) Are cameras getting a bit too "DIY" these days?
- Sunday 15 Nov 2015 - (17867) The Commodore Amiga: Once upon a time this was what we used to produce digital video
- Friday 20 Nov 2015 - (13324) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Saturday 14 Nov 2015 - (10011) A revolution in cheap cine lenses? We review the Veydra MFT Primes
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (162) Remembering Betamax: a truly game-changing tape format
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (670) CalDigit takes wrappers off new USB C docks
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (570) The end of digital signage? Or just the beginning?
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (2434) Why are CFast cards so stubbornly expensive?
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (6078) Panasonic 4K tech lets you change focus in post