To mark the occasion of the new year, our editor has asked me to come up with some predictions for the coming twelve months
While many production houses and broadcasters are adopting 4K workflows, guest author Fran de Souza, who resides on the border between Uruguay and Brazil, details his television station's struggle in transitioning from SD to HD broadcast in 2015 and the stroke of ingenuity that made it happen.
The rise of Periscope and Meerkat has been one of the most significant stories for the tech industry this year, but alongside their already fearsome reputation in online piracy we reckon they have an important role to play for film makers too.
One phrase you’ll hear a lot wherever the broadcast industry gathers is ‘disruptive technologies’, by which people typically mean that the internet is challenging all the business models and assumptions that have powered the industry for decades. With recent news that BitTorrent is now muscling in on their space, it might have to reach for a new, more apocalyptic description
Sony is using IBC2016 to showcase new technology and upgraded broadcast and video over IP products and services.
Anyone remember Betacam SP? There wasn't anything particularly clever about it, just a good standard workhorse of a tape format that, for more than a decade, more or less technically defined what you could and couldn't put on TV.
Over the Christmas period in the UK, Downton Abbey beat EastEnders in the ratings, which could be seen as an indicator of what style of production both UK and American audiences prefer.
- Wednesday 19 Oct 2016 - (94420) 8K is not the future of TV. We think 21:9 Ultra Widescreen is instead. Here's why...
- Saturday 15 Oct 2016 - (38803) Understanding ISO: In digital cameras, it's not what you think it is
- Tuesday 11 Oct 2016 - (22493) RED launches not one, but two 8K cameras [Update - now with product video]
- Saturday 8 Oct 2016 - (14852) The art of Colour Rendering
- Sunday 9 Oct 2016 - (6557) BenQ’s impressive PV3200PT UHD display reviewed
- Sunday 23 Oct 2016 - (382) A still image that is so beautiful: Antares rocket launch long exposure
- Friday 21 Oct 2016 - (1366) What happens when you put a 1000W LED onto a drone?
- Friday 21 Oct 2016 - (1082) The end of shaky video?
- Friday 21 Oct 2016 - (1412) What Convergent has done with Titan shows the way to capturing all camera angles at once
- Thursday 20 Oct 2016 - (5392) The state of Solid State Drives in 2016