Al Jazeera has announced its purchase of US broadcaster Current TV for an undisclosed amount. Unconfirmed speculation places the purchase price in the $400-500 million range
One phrase you’ll hear a lot wherever the broadcast industry gathers is ‘disruptive technologies’, by which people typically mean that the internet is challenging all the business models and assumptions that have powered the industry for decades. With recent news that BitTorrent is now muscling in on their space, it might have to reach for a new, more apocalyptic description
To mark the occasion of the new year, our editor has asked me to come up with some predictions for the coming twelve months
This is a very small camera, but - make no mistake - it's broadcast quality. Panasonic Guru Barry Braverman looks at it in detail
The rise of Periscope and Meerkat has been one of the most significant stories for the tech industry this year, but alongside their already fearsome reputation in online piracy we reckon they have an important role to play for film makers too.
Anyone remember Betacam SP? There wasn't anything particularly clever about it, just a good standard workhorse of a tape format that, for more than a decade, more or less technically defined what you could and couldn't put on TV.
The UK’s first 4G network, EE (formerly Everything Everywhere), goes live in a selection of UK cities on October 30, but for a broadcast industry looking to push content to mobile there has been some dismay about the data caps the network is imposing. Everything Everywhere? Not quite.
NAB, which is without any question the time and place each year when the biggest announcements are made, is only three weeks away. We'll be there in force, bringing you the most important stories. Meanwhile, it's useful to see what others are predicting at the show
- Sunday 29 Nov 2015 - (43806) Building a Resolve 12 system for $500
- Sunday 22 Nov 2015 - (30562) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part one: understanding SSDs
- Thursday 19 Nov 2015 - (21510) Are cameras getting a bit too "DIY" these days?
- Friday 27 Nov 2015 - (19530) Telling a story in four seconds using 600fps SlowMo
- Friday 20 Nov 2015 - (14611) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Wednesday 2 Dec 2015 - (312) How real life can trump VFX - even in space
- Tuesday 1 Dec 2015 - (1131) RedShark Exclusive Competition: Win a Panasonic DVX200 - one of the most talked about cameras of the year
- Tuesday 1 Dec 2015 - (717) Will AMD's new CAD-centric FirePro W4300 graphics card also be good for film?
- Tuesday 1 Dec 2015 - (5983) This is how ARRI makes cameras - RedShark Exclusive
- Tuesday 1 Dec 2015 - (2336) Why is LiFi suddenly in the news?