To mark the occasion of the new year, our editor has asked me to come up with some predictions for the coming twelve months
The UK’s first 4G network, EE (formerly Everything Everywhere), goes live in a selection of UK cities on October 30, but for a broadcast industry looking to push content to mobile there has been some dismay about the data caps the network is imposing. Everything Everywhere? Not quite.
Anyone remember Betacam SP? There wasn't anything particularly clever about it, just a good standard workhorse of a tape format that, for more than a decade, more or less technically defined what you could and couldn't put on TV.
NAB, which is without any question the time and place each year when the biggest announcements are made, is only three weeks away. We'll be there in force, bringing you the most important stories. Meanwhile, it's useful to see what others are predicting at the show
The rise of Periscope and Meerkat has been one of the most significant stories for the tech industry this year, but alongside their already fearsome reputation in online piracy we reckon they have an important role to play for film makers too.
Al Jazeera has announced its purchase of US broadcaster Current TV for an undisclosed amount. Unconfirmed speculation places the purchase price in the $400-500 million range
One phrase you’ll hear a lot wherever the broadcast industry gathers is ‘disruptive technologies’, by which people typically mean that the internet is challenging all the business models and assumptions that have powered the industry for decades. With recent news that BitTorrent is now muscling in on their space, it might have to reach for a new, more apocalyptic description
Why do we even bother shooting high quality footage when satellite and terrestrial broadcast compression throws it all away?
- Sunday 27 Sep 2015 - (46396) Five top tips for colorists
- Tuesday 22 Sep 2015 - (17115) Review - Blackmagic Ursa Mini 4K: The most interesting camera of the decade?
- Friday 25 Sep 2015 - (11985) Full details of the new RED Raven
- Wednesday 30 Sep 2015 - (11260) Why working for free is a bad idea
- Thursday 24 Sep 2015 - (10997) World's fastest video codec can handle 16K
- Sunday 4 Oct 2015 - (260) If CGI is bad, is CGI to blame?
- Saturday 3 Oct 2015 - (1219) Major upgrade for JVC's flagship 4K camera, the GY-LS300
- Friday 2 Oct 2015 - (1472) Digital Cinema Society launches web series for filmmakers and cinematographers
- Friday 2 Oct 2015 - (2694) Dell massively updates Precision Mobile Workstations
- Friday 2 Oct 2015 - (1765) GenArts unveils Sapphire 9 VFX plug-in suite