While many production houses and broadcasters are adopting 4K workflows, guest author Fran de Souza, who resides on the border between Uruguay and Brazil, details his television station's struggle in transitioning from SD to HD broadcast in 2015 and the stroke of ingenuity that made it happen.
NAB, which is without any question the time and place each year when the biggest announcements are made, is only three weeks away. We'll be there in force, bringing you the most important stories. Meanwhile, it's useful to see what others are predicting at the show
The rise of Periscope and Meerkat has been one of the most significant stories for the tech industry this year, but alongside their already fearsome reputation in online piracy we reckon they have an important role to play for film makers too.
Over the Christmas period in the UK, Downton Abbey beat EastEnders in the ratings, which could be seen as an indicator of what style of production both UK and American audiences prefer.
Why do we even bother shooting high quality footage when satellite and terrestrial broadcast compression throws it all away?
This is a very small camera, but - make no mistake - it's broadcast quality. Panasonic Guru Barry Braverman looks at it in detail
Anyone remember Betacam SP? There wasn't anything particularly clever about it, just a good standard workhorse of a tape format that, for more than a decade, more or less technically defined what you could and couldn't put on TV.
- Friday 17 Feb 2017 - (17815) Panasonic GH5 Review: the first full hands-on report
- Sunday 19 Feb 2017 - (12243) The dramatic ways that technology has changed editing
- Friday 17 Feb 2017 - (6061) Transform Your Video With Light Leak Overlays (+ Freebie Inside) [sponsored]
- Tuesday 14 Feb 2017 - (5941) DJI Osmo Mobile: good run and gun on a budget?
- Saturday 18 Feb 2017 - (5508) SLR Magic's Anamorphot primes: anamorphic on a (relative) budget
- Thursday 23 Feb 2017 - (187) ZEISS Cinema Zoom Lenses [sponsored]
- Thursday 23 Feb 2017 - (728) First look at Varicam Pure 4K raw footage
- Thursday 23 Feb 2017 - (727) SmallHD takes its first steps into OLED
- Wednesday 22 Feb 2017 - (1126) Sony claims world’s fastest flash memory
- Wednesday 22 Feb 2017 - (1146) Fujifilm releases radical new MK lenses