Well, Sony promised it “after Thanksgiving”, and here it is: the first details of Sony’s new 4K delivery system which may or may not show the way to the post Blu-Ray era
RedShark Editor Dave Shapton presents the still controversial view that 4K is already a done deal, and that it's not just a marketing ploy but has real advantages for content creators and viewers
A day is a long time in digital video technology. And what we now know is that the battle-lines have been drawn for the fight over 4K delivery. Is this simply a squabble between obscure and proprietary systems, or the end-game in the democratisation of cinema that started with the RED One, and blossomed into the plethora of affordable cameras that start with DSLRs and go all the way up to the new Sony F55?
Curved screens are shaping up as a key differentiator between top and lower tier television brands, especially those jumping in the race to put an UltraHD television in your home. Sony is the latest to follow the curve, introducing its first (less) curved line of 4K UHD televisions.
It's started. The most important part of Sony's 4K ecosystem is in the shops: an 84" Bravia TV with quad HD resolution.
Sony's setting the pace for 4K, from the Lens to the Living Room, to use one of their favourite marketing phrases. And to show their commitment to the format, they've annouced that the're remastering some of their Blu Ray titles from 4K masters. It's good because it's a source of higher quality content for 4K display owners. But RedShark contributor Freya thinks it will also confuse customers. Here's her thoughts on the subject
- Sunday 22 Nov 2015 - (29970) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part one: understanding SSDs
- Thursday 19 Nov 2015 - (21077) Are cameras getting a bit too "DIY" these days?
- Sunday 15 Nov 2015 - (17893) The Commodore Amiga: Once upon a time this was what we used to produce digital video
- Friday 20 Nov 2015 - (13449) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Saturday 14 Nov 2015 - (10075) A revolution in cheap cine lenses? We review the Veydra MFT Primes
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (758) RedShark Review: Sony PMW-PZ1 — 4K just got easier
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (546) Remembering Betamax: a truly game-changing tape format
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (1228) CalDigit takes wrappers off new USB C docks
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (686) The end of digital signage? Or just the beginning?
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (2894) Why are CFast cards so stubbornly expensive?