Phil Rhodes takes another look at the Ursa Mini 4K and explores the greatest gift any camera can bestow on a production: letting people simply get on with the business of making films.
Now that the dust has settled and heads are clear after the industry’s annual jaunt to Vegas, Azule Finance’s Peter Savage reflects on this year’s show that bought the future into focus
Blackmagic have made a habit of buying up companies, revamping the products and then re-releasing them at a massively reduced cost. Certainly that has been the case with DaVinci, with their Resolve colour grading software now available for a fraction of the price and the lite version for free. And they didn't stop there, not only is Resolve now incredibly good value but the performance and capabilities get stronger with each new release.
This year's NAB show has proved to be an interesting one for Digital Bolex, and perhaps not in a way that they would have wanted. With Blackmagic announcing (out of the blue!) their Pocket Cinema Camera - essentially at 16mm digital cinema camera - the "digital 16mm" space is now alive with competition
- Sunday 29 Nov 2015 - (43734) Building a Resolve 12 system for $500
- Sunday 22 Nov 2015 - (30550) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part one: understanding SSDs
- Thursday 19 Nov 2015 - (21501) Are cameras getting a bit too "DIY" these days?
- Friday 27 Nov 2015 - (19512) Telling a story in four seconds using 600fps SlowMo
- Friday 20 Nov 2015 - (14588) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Wednesday 2 Dec 2015 - (103) How real life can trump VFX - even in space
- Tuesday 1 Dec 2015 - (994) RedShark Exclusive Competition: Win a Panasonic DVX200 - one of the most talked about cameras of the year
- Tuesday 1 Dec 2015 - (613) Will AMD's new CAD-centric FirePro W4300 graphics card also be good for film?
- Tuesday 1 Dec 2015 - (5459) This is how ARRI makes cameras - RedShark Exclusive
- Tuesday 1 Dec 2015 - (2087) Why is LiFi suddenly in the news?