I may be the editor of RedShark but until today I haven't actually had a chance to get my hands on a Blackmagic Cinema Camera other than at trade shows. Well, we do have one now and I was in London helping Phil Rhodes shoot some scenes for an upcoming article - so I just thought that, even though I'm probably the last person on earth to see the camera properly, I'd write some first impressions
The software upgrade was issued on Tuesday, and how we've got the first results
These days a simple software upgrade can transform your camera
Blackmagic have made a habit of buying up companies, revamping the products and then re-releasing them at a massively reduced cost. Certainly that has been the case with DaVinci, with their Resolve colour grading software now available for a fraction of the price and the lite version for free. And they didn't stop there, not only is Resolve now incredibly good value but the performance and capabilities get stronger with each new release.
There was a lot of news at IBC2014, particularly on the camera and camera accessory front, and we published a lot of stories as a result (with more still in the pipeline). Here, in case you’ve missed any of our coverage, are the highlights so far (with added Photokina).
While Blackmagic Design nearly stole NAB 2014 with the announcements of the URSA and Studio cameras, not everyone is happy with the news. Some customers are still waiting for promised improvements and bug fixes for their current cameras. Here's Blackmagic's response.
- Sunday 27 Sep 2015 - (47183) Five top tips for colorists
- Tuesday 22 Sep 2015 - (17614) Review - Blackmagic Ursa Mini 4K: The most interesting camera of the decade?
- Wednesday 30 Sep 2015 - (13178) Why working for free is a bad idea
- Friday 25 Sep 2015 - (12332) Full details of the new RED Raven
- Thursday 24 Sep 2015 - (11424) World's fastest video codec can handle 16K
- Tuesday 6 Oct 2015 - (912) The new normal: expect surprises
- Tuesday 6 Oct 2015 - (2058) RedShark Review: Dell Ultrasharp U3415W Monitor
- Monday 5 Oct 2015 - (2137) HP unveils revamped workstations and hints at Skylake
- Monday 5 Oct 2015 - (5002) RedShark Review: AJA Cion out in the real world
- Monday 5 Oct 2015 - (2533) Microsoft makes 3D scanning possible with any mobile phone