Ever wonder what a Canon 5D MK2, an NEX FS100 and a Blackmagic Cinema camera look like, side by side? Probably not because two of these are the old models and you'd more likely be thinking about a 5D MK3, an NEX FS700 and the Blackmagic camera. But that doesn't make this any less interesting
Jonny Elwyn tries out the multitude of new editing tools in the public beta of Blackmagic's DaVinci Resolve 12 and gives us the lowdown from an editor's point of view.
Guest author George Krieger, cinematographer and drone pilot (amongst many other things) takes us on a drone tour circa 2015, revealing the hottest consumer drones that will undoubtedly find their way to productions near you.
While many production houses and broadcasters are adopting 4K workflows, guest author Fran de Souza, who resides on the border between Uruguay and Brazil, details his television station's struggle in transitioning from SD to HD broadcast in 2015 and the stroke of ingenuity that made it happen.
There was a lot of news at IBC2014, particularly on the camera and camera accessory front, and we published a lot of stories as a result (with more still in the pipeline). Here, in case you’ve missed any of our coverage, are the highlights so far (with added Photokina).
RedShark News Technical Editor, Phil Rhodes, reviews Blackmagic's 4K SDI to HDMI converter and investigates its usefulness in a production environment.
Blackmagic have made a habit of buying up companies, revamping the products and then re-releasing them at a massively reduced cost. Certainly that has been the case with DaVinci, with their Resolve colour grading software now available for a fraction of the price and the lite version for free. And they didn't stop there, not only is Resolve now incredibly good value but the performance and capabilities get stronger with each new release.
This morning, I woke up in my Las Vegas hotel room unspeakably early thanks to persistent jet lag. In my email was a note from RedShark contributor Freya Black saying "Here's the article on the two new Blackmagic cameras"
- Sunday 7 Feb 2016 - (38369) The truth about colour. This is stuff every film-maker should know about.
- Wednesday 3 Feb 2016 - (25072) 8-bit or 10-bit? The truth may surprise you
- Tuesday 9 Feb 2016 - (9964) AJA's surprise new camera is a change of direction
- Wednesday 3 Feb 2016 - (8553) Sony's A6300: Mirrorless 4K & world's fastest autofocus for under $1K
- Monday 1 Feb 2016 - (6439) Canon updates its 4K blockbuster DSLR with the EOS-1D X MK II
- Thursday 11 Feb 2016 - (291) RedShark Review: DJI Phantom 3 Advanced Drone
- Thursday 11 Feb 2016 - (2148) The powerful new Panasonic Varicam LT: Top-end features, mid-range price
- Thursday 11 Feb 2016 - (756) 101 uses for a GoPro camera
- Wednesday 10 Feb 2016 - (1127) How to shoot good interviews
- Wednesday 10 Feb 2016 - (1020) What Dell's cryptic press release about security really means