Where's the best source for 4K material? Old films. Blackmagic brings down the cost of film scanning
Now that the dust has settled and heads are clear after the industry’s annual jaunt to Vegas, Azule Finance’s Peter Savage reflects on this year’s show that bought the future into focus
Apart from colour saturation, contrast, and a a shallow depth of field, one of the most cinematic things you can do to your images is to film them in a cinematic aspect ratio. And since most sensors come in 16:9, which is widescreen but nowhere near as wide as 2.35 to 1, for example, then the only way to shoot in this format is to use an anamorphic lens, which squashes the image horizontally to fit it onto a narrower sensor
There's so much interest in the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, and so little footage available from it, that when some does appear, it is news
A Kickstarter-funded digital 16mm camera is one of 2012's most intriguing stories. RedShark's reporter Peter Haas talks to Joe Rubinstein, co-founder of Digital Bolex
- Saturday 14 May 2016 - (20576) The Commodore Amiga: Once upon a time this was what we used to produce digital video
- Saturday 21 May 2016 - (20254) The Sony A7S - a camera born for astrophotography
- Monday 23 May 2016 - (18577) Nvidia's GTX 1080: Is this the end of Mac-based video production?
- Friday 13 May 2016 - (12766) Five things a Colorist would like to say to a DP
- Friday 13 May 2016 - (10705) 7 Free Motion Design Assets for Video Editors [sponsored]
- Thursday 26 May 2016 - (349) LEDs and the power to (battery) weight ratio
- Wednesday 25 May 2016 - (918) Update on the sale of Sony Vegas to Magix (Further update: Sony's own statement).
- Wednesday 25 May 2016 - (682) Europe mulls quota on streaming content
- Wednesday 25 May 2016 - (3166) Sony sells Vegas and more to Magix
- Tuesday 24 May 2016 - (1514) BigFly's impressive drone showreel