There's something rather curious about sound, which is that it can range from a simple, single tone like a sine wave (or a flute, if you like) to a complete orchestra at the climax of a symphony. Even day-to-day background "atmospheres" can be a complex mosaic of hundreds of sonic elements: just think of the din at a supermarket checkout, or the racket at a soccer match when someone scores a goal
Rode has announced a new camera microphone, the Stereo VideoMic X, which appears to be an interesting dual capsule setup in an XY Stereo configuration. The two microphone capsules are acoustically matched and have shock mounting built in at the capsule level.
Whether you call it single system or in-camera sound, it may be time that camera makers develop products with better native audio recording capabilities.
EQ is an essential part of the audio production toolkit, but it can be difficult to control, and because of that, it's not always used to its fullest effect
RedShark's 12 Days of Christmas Replays: Now this may seem weird coming from someone who’s been a cameraman for most of his working life and maybe it’s bit late to make amends, but I think it is time to reassert the importance of the sound recordist. By Roland Denning.
After an intensive development programme, iZotope has just released its RX Post Production Suite and a new version of its well-regarded RX 5 Audio Editor.
Pro tools has been around since 1991, a time when doing any sort of digital audio editing was a technical challenge. The most you could expect was to play back a few tracks, and there were absolutely no real-time effects or processes (apart from volume!) at that time. Now, an important new version is released
- Sunday 24 Apr 2016 - (21205) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Tuesday 26 Apr 2016 - (8712) The world's smallest 4K interchangeable lens camera
- Friday 15 Apr 2016 - (8090) 5 things every video editor should have on their hard drive [sponsored]
- Monday 18 Apr 2016 - (6379) Dramatic updates for URSA Mini and new products from Blackmagic
- Friday 22 Apr 2016 - (6181) RedShark NAB Awards - The Results
- Friday 29 Apr 2016 - (924) Watching the Titanic sink in realtime
- Friday 29 Apr 2016 - (1065) Don't panic - it's just log!
- Friday 29 Apr 2016 - (2726) 3 ways to help if you have to use a different NLE
- Thursday 28 Apr 2016 - (1079) RedShark's Teradek NAB live tv shows - Episode I, Nick Rashby, President, AJA
- Thursday 28 Apr 2016 - (780) The Zeiss VR One: an important headset for the future?