Phil Rhodes, our Technical Editor, may incur the wrath of audiophiles and engineers with thie idea that "the audio equipment world has it fairly easy," but he draws intriguing parallels between audio and camera equipment development, which may be instructive for manufacturers.
There's going to be no shortage of very highly capable cameras in the next few months and years. DSLRs have been on the video scene for a few years, and now face competition from relatively low-cost cameras aimed directly at the cinematography marketplace
After an intensive development programme, iZotope has just released its RX Post Production Suite and a new version of its well-regarded RX 5 Audio Editor.
Memory chip manufacturer Corsair has quietly been manufacturing a set of 2.1 "computer" speakers that sound far better than they should for the price. In fact, they're pretty much ideal for professional use, if you're on a budget
Sony has announced that it is stopping production of Minidisc recorders and players after 21 years. Most 20 year old audio enthusiasts would be surprised to hear that they were born after the arrival of this digital audio disk system. But how did it manage to cling to life for so long?
Every film-maker starting out wants to make the best short film, and get the best people and equipment to make it happen - but often with little or no budget at all, all in the hope that the idea is strong enough to get investors and potential co-workers to commit.
I was present at the audio mixing stage of Aardman Animations' "The Wrong Trousers" or "Wallace and Gromit" as most people remember it. This stop-motion animation classic was hilarious from the first frame to the last, but for me the most memorable thing was seeing it without sound, and then with sound
- Sunday 22 Nov 2015 - (29880) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part one: understanding SSDs
- Thursday 19 Nov 2015 - (21021) Are cameras getting a bit too "DIY" these days?
- Sunday 15 Nov 2015 - (17812) The Commodore Amiga: Once upon a time this was what we used to produce digital video
- Friday 20 Nov 2015 - (13253) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Saturday 14 Nov 2015 - (9978) A revolution in cheap cine lenses? We review the Veydra MFT Primes
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (175) CalDigit takes wrappers off new USB C docks
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (461) The end of digital signage? Or just the beginning?
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (2050) Why are CFast cards so stubbornly expensive?
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (5589) Panasonic 4K tech lets you change focus in post
- Monday 23 Nov 2015 - (2159) The evolution of editing: where will it go next?