Well, this is unusual. We're quite used to seeing audio sound effects libraries and samples of all kinds of things from exotic North Korean bagpipes to banjos, but this is something different
Phil Rhodes, our Technical Editor, may incur the wrath of audiophiles and engineers with thie idea that "the audio equipment world has it fairly easy," but he draws intriguing parallels between audio and camera equipment development, which may be instructive for manufacturers.
Sony has announced that it is stopping production of Minidisc recorders and players after 21 years. Most 20 year old audio enthusiasts would be surprised to hear that they were born after the arrival of this digital audio disk system. But how did it manage to cling to life for so long?
We ask industry leaders to tell us about their companies and how they see the future. External recorders are now selling in large numbers and the Sound Devices Pix 240 is a popular example. Jon Tatooles, Managing Director of Sound Devices, tells us about his company and how he sees the years ahead.
I was present at the audio mixing stage of Aardman Animations' "The Wrong Trousers" or "Wallace and Gromit" as most people remember it. This stop-motion animation classic was hilarious from the first frame to the last, but for me the most memorable thing was seeing it without sound, and then with sound
- Sunday 22 Nov 2015 - (30072) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part one: understanding SSDs
- Thursday 19 Nov 2015 - (21135) Are cameras getting a bit too "DIY" these days?
- Sunday 15 Nov 2015 - (17959) The Commodore Amiga: Once upon a time this was what we used to produce digital video
- Friday 20 Nov 2015 - (13636) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Saturday 14 Nov 2015 - (10199) A revolution in cheap cine lenses? We review the Veydra MFT Primes
- Thursday 26 Nov 2015 - (428) Don't make plans for 30 years ahead!
- Thursday 26 Nov 2015 - (1060) How to colour correct on unsuitable monitors
- Thursday 26 Nov 2015 - (9592) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part two: using SSDs
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (1515) RedShark Review: Sony PMW-PZ1 — 4K just got easier
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (1113) Remembering Betamax: a truly game-changing tape format