This is the first of our series looking at people who run a video production business focusing on their strategy and their technology. Mark McCarthy of Sparky Media Productions specialises in very high quality video which is increasingly obtainable on lower-cost equipment - although he's not afraid to use high-end kit where necessary.
Sony's Glasnost: Is Sony opening up to working with other companies and products?
The NAB exhibition in Las Vegas starts on Monday 8th of April, and the RedShark team is packing its bags ready for a long flight to Nevada on Friday. Stand by for NAB's big and surprising announcements
Sony's new A7s is a well thought out 4K-capable camera. Sony briefed us, giving some more information
RedShark reader Krasnapolski saw Peter Haas' film Peter Pan Bakery, shot with a Digital Bolex D16, and sent us a link to a very similar production: Mario's Cafe by Roland Denning, a customer at the cafe. It was shot with a Sony Z7 HDV Camera. It's fascinating to compare the two!
Atomos has finally released their Avid DNxHD upgrade for Ninja-2 field recorders. First hinted at over a year ago, the new firmware upgrade will allow direct capture from HDMI sources into the Avid format, which is usually lossless at higher bitrates
There was a lot of news at IBC2014, particularly on the camera and camera accessory front, and we published a lot of stories as a result (with more still in the pipeline). Here, in case you’ve missed any of our coverage, are the highlights so far (with added Photokina).
Atomos, the Melbourne, Austraila - based company, has finally shipped their Connect converters. These are small, battery-powered gadgets for converting HDMI to HDSDI and vice-versa - with a few extra tricks hidden inside their compact packaging.
- Sunday 22 Nov 2015 - (29860) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part one: understanding SSDs
- Thursday 19 Nov 2015 - (21019) Are cameras getting a bit too "DIY" these days?
- Sunday 15 Nov 2015 - (17808) The Commodore Amiga: Once upon a time this was what we used to produce digital video
- Friday 20 Nov 2015 - (13232) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Saturday 14 Nov 2015 - (9968) A revolution in cheap cine lenses? We review the Veydra MFT Primes
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (26) CalDigit takes wrappers off new USB C docks
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (451) The end of digital signage? Or just the beginning?
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (1951) Why are CFast cards so stubbornly expensive?
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (5439) Panasonic 4K tech lets you change focus in post
- Monday 23 Nov 2015 - (2110) The evolution of editing: where will it go next?