Something is different about NAB this year and it's probably a good thing as an industry once wedded to launching new products instead discovers the joy of upgrades, modularity, durability and extending the product life cycle. Buy a new camera today and the chances are it will last a lot longer than one even from just a few years ago.
What's the best shape for a camera? Phil Rhodes has some strong views
Here's another chance to read this great article by Phil Rhodes on why cameras need global shutters. Cheaper, cinematic cameras come with a cost - they tend to have Rolling Shutters, which means that rapid movement can be skewed. The ability to buy cameras with global shutters at all price points can't come soon enough, according to Phil Rhodes
We're pretty sure Arri doesn't need any help from us to sell their popular Alexa cameras, but we found this clip from an Arri-staged event at IBC 2012 that features Roger Deakins, the award-winning Chief Cinematographer on Skyfall.
Popular though the Arri Alexa is, some people have been deterred from recording the Raw output by the requirement for the camera to be tethered to an outboard recorder which sometimes cost as much to rent as the camera itself! RedShark contributor Freya reports
In a sea of 4K announcements, and sailing serenely against the tide of opinion that the days of sub-4K cinema cameras are gone, ARRI has produced glorious-looking showreel for its Alexa camera; a taster for the plethora of projects it's been chosen for
- Friday 17 Feb 2017 - (16761) Panasonic GH5 Review: the first full hands-on report
- Sunday 19 Feb 2017 - (12059) The dramatic ways that technology has changed editing
- Monday 6 Feb 2017 - (10884) Blackmagic just made broadcasting cheaper and easier
- Tuesday 7 Feb 2017 - (7101) Sony launches documentary film contest [sponsored]
- Tuesday 14 Feb 2017 - (5799) DJI Osmo Mobile: good run and gun on a budget?
- Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 - (44) Phantom Flex4K adds global shutter to high speed options
- Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 - (168) Planet Earth II to showcase what UHD Blu-ray can really do
- Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 - (1074) Sony’s new FE lenses: a first hands-on
- Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 - (1026) The Accusys Thunderbolt T3 is fast shared storage for your Thunderbolt devices [sponsored]
- Monday 20 Feb 2017 - (896) RedShark Live: How to shoot for HDR