Here's another chance to read this great article by Phil Rhodes on why cameras need global shutters. Cheaper, cinematic cameras come with a cost - they tend to have Rolling Shutters, which means that rapid movement can be skewed. The ability to buy cameras with global shutters at all price points can't come soon enough, according to Phil Rhodes
In many ways IBC2013 was a quiet show. Yes it boasted record visitor numbers, but few things happened out in Amsterdam that hadn’t been predicted beforehand: namely HEVC-powered 4K is on the horizon, the second screen is increasingly important to broadcasters’ plans, and higher frame-rate imaging is moving closer and closer to mainstream acceptance. Andy Stout looks back on five days in Amsterdam
Our resident VFX expert, HaZ, made an on-set discovery that not only eased his workflow, but solidified, in his opinion, the ARRI Alexa as the go-to camera for VFX shoots.
We're pretty sure Arri doesn't need any help from us to sell their popular Alexa cameras, but we found this clip from an Arri-staged event at IBC 2012 that features Roger Deakins, the award-winning Chief Cinematographer on Skyfall.
RedShark Technical Editor Phil Rhodes profiles Monocle, a new utility from ClipToolz that converts raw color into a black-and-white result that approaches a 'true' monochromatic image.
- Sunday 22 Nov 2015 - (29915) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part one: understanding SSDs
- Thursday 19 Nov 2015 - (21036) Are cameras getting a bit too "DIY" these days?
- Sunday 15 Nov 2015 - (17867) The Commodore Amiga: Once upon a time this was what we used to produce digital video
- Friday 20 Nov 2015 - (13324) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Saturday 14 Nov 2015 - (10011) A revolution in cheap cine lenses? We review the Veydra MFT Primes
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (162) Remembering Betamax: a truly game-changing tape format
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (671) CalDigit takes wrappers off new USB C docks
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (570) The end of digital signage? Or just the beginning?
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (2435) Why are CFast cards so stubbornly expensive?
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (6078) Panasonic 4K tech lets you change focus in post