Popular though the Arri Alexa is, some people have been deterred from recording the Raw output by the requirement for the camera to be tethered to an outboard recorder which sometimes cost as much to rent as the camera itself! RedShark contributor Freya reports
On the eve of the NAB show, ARRI has announced a collaboration with Transvideo for a 5" OLED field monitor that doubles as a camera controller.
In a sea of 4K announcements, and sailing serenely against the tide of opinion that the days of sub-4K cinema cameras are gone, ARRI has produced glorious-looking showreel for its Alexa camera; a taster for the plethora of projects it's been chosen for
Our resident VFX expert, HaZ, made an on-set discovery that not only eased his workflow, but solidified, in his opinion, the ARRI Alexa as the go-to camera for VFX shoots.
Here's another chance to read this great article by Phil Rhodes on why cameras need global shutters. Cheaper, cinematic cameras come with a cost - they tend to have Rolling Shutters, which means that rapid movement can be skewed. The ability to buy cameras with global shutters at all price points can't come soon enough, according to Phil Rhodes
What's the best shape for a camera? Phil Rhodes has some strong views
Something is different about NAB this year and it's probably a good thing as an industry once wedded to launching new products instead discovers the joy of upgrades, modularity, durability and extending the product life cycle. Buy a new camera today and the chances are it will last a lot longer than one even from just a few years ago.
- Sunday 29 Nov 2015 - (43483) Building a Resolve 12 system for $500
- Sunday 22 Nov 2015 - (30514) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part one: understanding SSDs
- Thursday 19 Nov 2015 - (21484) Are cameras getting a bit too "DIY" these days?
- Friday 27 Nov 2015 - (19488) Telling a story in four seconds using 600fps SlowMo
- Friday 20 Nov 2015 - (14548) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Tuesday 1 Dec 2015 - (632) RedShark Exclusive Competition: Win a Panasonic DVX200 - one of the most talked about cameras of the year
- Tuesday 1 Dec 2015 - (384) Will AMD's new CAD-centric FirePro W4300 graphics card also be good for film?
- Tuesday 1 Dec 2015 - (4212) This is how ARRI makes cameras - RedShark Exclusive
- Tuesday 1 Dec 2015 - (1680) Why is LiFi suddenly in the news?
- Monday 30 Nov 2015 - (1854) The truth about ETTR - Exposing To The Right