Our resident VFX expert, HaZ, made an on-set discovery that not only eased his workflow, but solidified, in his opinion, the ARRI Alexa as the go-to camera for VFX shoots.
Hidden under the surface, there are some very big changes happening with the big manufacturers
RedShark Technical Editor Phil Rhodes profiles Monocle, a new utility from ClipToolz that converts raw color into a black-and-white result that approaches a 'true' monochromatic image.
RedShark replay: Could cameras like the AJA CION usher in a return to capturing great images in-camera? Simon Wyndham investigates.
In many ways IBC2013 was a quiet show. Yes it boasted record visitor numbers, but few things happened out in Amsterdam that hadn’t been predicted beforehand: namely HEVC-powered 4K is on the horizon, the second screen is increasingly important to broadcasters’ plans, and higher frame-rate imaging is moving closer and closer to mainstream acceptance. Andy Stout looks back on five days in Amsterdam
Cooke /i3 is gaining widespread support among manufacturers and software makers that cater to high-end productions.
While much of the ARRI press conference focused on news that broke weeks ago, its presentation of the Sky Panel LED softlights carried the show (and there was a killer leave-behind to boot).
- Sunday 7 Feb 2016 - (38685) The truth about colour. This is stuff every film-maker should know about.
- Wednesday 3 Feb 2016 - (25666) 8-bit or 10-bit? The truth may surprise you
- Tuesday 9 Feb 2016 - (10623) AJA's surprise new camera is a change of direction
- Wednesday 3 Feb 2016 - (8817) Sony's A6300: Mirrorless 4K & world's fastest autofocus for under $1K
- Thursday 11 Feb 2016 - (6660) The powerful new Panasonic Varicam LT: Top-end features, mid-range price
- Saturday 13 Feb 2016 - (724) Event Horizon showcases the power of blocking and framing
- Friday 12 Feb 2016 - (1178) This is what you need to throw multiple 4K images around
- Friday 12 Feb 2016 - (1488) Odyssey 7Q+ to support Varicam LT V-RAW
- Friday 12 Feb 2016 - (968) Indian music and iPad: made for each other
- Thursday 11 Feb 2016 - (1507) RedShark Review: DJI Phantom 3 Advanced Drone