Have a close look at this video clip. It’s an advert for a high-end kitchen worktop manufacturer. Watch it in 720p, and look as closely as you can at the camerawork, the clever use of depth of field, the lighting, and particularly the fresh fruit.
And then reflect on the fact that no cameras - or indeed fruit - were involved in the making of this at all.
Disney's made an animated explanation about animation. Specifically, how their version of Ray Tracing (which they call Path Tracing) works
How did they make that - thing - move?
3D animation company 3Lateral shows off an impressive facial rigging demo from its work on the Xbox One release title Son of Rome. Plus, a bonus video of the 3DLateral scan process!
The free 3D-suite Blender has been released in version 2.67 this week. It includes the fruits of a development that started 5 years ago - the Freestyle line rendering engine. With this new engine it is possible to render lines based on their geometry, with countless possibilities for changing the style like line color, thickness, transparency etc. Blender expert Gottfried Hoffmann reports
This holiday we're re-running some of our most popular articles, in case you didn't see them the first time. Today: have you ever heard the collective sound of several hundred people's jaws dropping? If you've been to a cinema where they're showing the Life of Pi for the first time, then you probably have
- Friday 17 Feb 2017 - (17055) Panasonic GH5 Review: the first full hands-on report
- Sunday 19 Feb 2017 - (12121) The dramatic ways that technology has changed editing
- Tuesday 7 Feb 2017 - (7113) Sony launches documentary film contest [sponsored]
- Tuesday 14 Feb 2017 - (5822) DJI Osmo Mobile: good run and gun on a budget?
- Friday 17 Feb 2017 - (5327) Transform Your Video With Light Leak Overlays (+ Freebie Inside) [sponsored]
- Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 - (346) Phantom Flex4K adds global shutter to high speed options
- Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 - (749) Planet Earth II to showcase what UHD Blu-ray can really do
- Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 - (1526) Sony’s new FE lenses: a first hands-on
- Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 - (1252) The Accusys Thunderbolt T3 is fast shared storage for your Thunderbolt devices [sponsored]
- Monday 20 Feb 2017 - (1067) RedShark Live: How to shoot for HDR