I was present at the audio mixing stage of Aardman Animations' "The Wrong Trousers" or "Wallace and Gromit" as most people remember it. This stop-motion animation classic was hilarious from the first frame to the last, but for me the most memorable thing was seeing it without sound, and then with sound
The term 'Uncanny Valley' was originally coined by Japanese robotics professor Masahiro Mori back in 1980 and suggests that as we get close to human realism a huge dip in a ‘familiarity’ graph occurs, indicating a sudden negative response. Now the Digital Human League, a superteam of Hollywood visual effects artists and researchers, is looking to bridge the gap with the creation of convincing synthetic humans.
3D animation company 3Lateral shows off an impressive facial rigging demo from its work on the Xbox One release title Son of Rome. Plus, a bonus video of the 3DLateral scan process!
Have a close look at this video clip. It’s an advert for a high-end kitchen worktop manufacturer. Watch it in 720p, and look as closely as you can at the camerawork, the clever use of depth of field, the lighting, and particularly the fresh fruit.
And then reflect on the fact that no cameras - or indeed fruit - were involved in the making of this at all.
It's not easy to make a photo-realistic animation of an eye, but this proves that it can be done - complete with peach-fluff!
How did they make that - thing - move?
- Sunday 27 Sep 2015 - (46409) Five top tips for colorists
- Tuesday 22 Sep 2015 - (17122) Review - Blackmagic Ursa Mini 4K: The most interesting camera of the decade?
- Friday 25 Sep 2015 - (11986) Full details of the new RED Raven
- Wednesday 30 Sep 2015 - (11375) Why working for free is a bad idea
- Thursday 24 Sep 2015 - (10999) World's fastest video codec can handle 16K
- Sunday 4 Oct 2015 - (350) If CGI is bad, is CGI to blame?
- Saturday 3 Oct 2015 - (1238) Major upgrade for JVC's flagship 4K camera, the GY-LS300
- Friday 2 Oct 2015 - (1516) Digital Cinema Society launches web series for filmmakers and cinematographers
- Friday 2 Oct 2015 - (2721) Dell massively updates Precision Mobile Workstations
- Friday 2 Oct 2015 - (1794) GenArts unveils Sapphire 9 VFX plug-in suite