I was present at the audio mixing stage of Aardman Animations' "The Wrong Trousers" or "Wallace and Gromit" as most people remember it. This stop-motion animation classic was hilarious from the first frame to the last, but for me the most memorable thing was seeing it without sound, and then with sound
Anyone working with digital tools today has a wide choice of applications for specialized tasks. An office suite consists of a program for writing text, one for spreadsheets, presentations, a database etc. For a VFX workflow you might use a tool for tracking, one for compositing, one for editing, various tools for simulations and specialized applications for modelling, sculpting, texturing and animation. RedShark contributor and Blender expert Gottfried Hoffmann reports
2D and 3D workflows have never managed to play nicely together, with all sorts of inelegant kludges developed to get them to talk. All of which makes Imagineer’s new plugin for Maxon C4D all the more elegant.
We revisit one of our favorites, a dandypunk, to see what new creative heights he's reached with his unique blend of animation, projection mapping, and performance.
The Blender Foundation has released Blender 2.70 – the first release of the 2.7x-series. That series will incorporate major changes to the UI. But unlike the switch from the 2.4x to the 2.5x-series, the changes will be integrated gradually
One of the more obscure oddities from the 1980s console gaming era finds a new lease of life in the animation world.
Pixar's new animation system allows animators to visualise their characters with all the important detail visible. Like hair!
There’s more to Laika’s latest animated movie The Boxtrolls than meets the eye, not least in the way this ostensibly stop-motion creation seamlessly utilises modern animation techniques and even 3D printing to tell its wonderfully dark, critcally-acclaimed and subversive story.
- Sunday 8 Jan 2017 - (24599) Coveted by top movie makers, this is how Cooke makes their lenses
- Monday 16 Jan 2017 - (20450) Just how good is AMD's impressive new Ryzen CPU?
- Friday 13 Jan 2017 - (15952) Why FCPX 10.3 is the NLE of the future
- Tuesday 10 Jan 2017 - (8465) RED Helium is the "best sensor ever" according to DxO
- Tuesday 10 Jan 2017 - (5970) The Panasonic FZ80: 4K for under $400
- Saturday 21 Jan 2017 - (80) A behind-the-scenes look at The Last Starfighter and the very early days of CG
- Friday 20 Jan 2017 - (875) Metabones announces fifth generation EF To E mount adapters
- Friday 20 Jan 2017 - (5399) The Sony FS7 II and why it absolutely is a big deal
- Friday 20 Jan 2017 - (786) Some stunning work using the Phantom Miro
- Thursday 19 Jan 2017 - (2323) The "iPhone" of the video industry? [sponsored]