The term 'Uncanny Valley' was originally coined by Japanese robotics professor Masahiro Mori back in 1980 and suggests that as we get close to human realism a huge dip in a ‘familiarity’ graph occurs, indicating a sudden negative response. Now the Digital Human League, a superteam of Hollywood visual effects artists and researchers, is looking to bridge the gap with the creation of convincing synthetic humans.
One of the more obscure oddities from the 1980s console gaming era finds a new lease of life in the animation world.
In Part 1 of this 3 part series about applying for Jobs in the VFX Industry, RedShark's reporter HaZ, uses his experience as a VFX Supervisor and Producer to explain what he looks for in the in an application: what really works to get his attention - and what turns him off
Have a close look at this video clip. It’s an advert for a high-end kitchen worktop manufacturer. Watch it in 720p, and look as closely as you can at the camerawork, the clever use of depth of field, the lighting, and particularly the fresh fruit.
And then reflect on the fact that no cameras - or indeed fruit - were involved in the making of this at all.
Disney's made an animated explanation about animation. Specifically, how their version of Ray Tracing (which they call Path Tracing) works
- Wednesday 3 Feb 2016 - (23954) 8-bit or 10-bit? The truth may surprise you
- Sunday 24 Jan 2016 - (22669) How to understand "Log" or Cine-style recordings
- Monday 25 Jan 2016 - (14886) Building a powerful Intel Skylake video editing workstation
- Wednesday 3 Feb 2016 - (6039) Sony's A6300: Mirrorless 4K & world's fastest autofocus for under $1K
- Monday 1 Feb 2016 - (5963) Canon updates its 4K blockbuster DSLR with the EOS-1D X MK II
- Saturday 6 Feb 2016 - (373) Oscar season reveals some stunning vfx work
- Friday 5 Feb 2016 - (1960) Resolve 12.3, FCP 10.2.3 and more - it’s Super Update Friday
- Friday 5 Feb 2016 - (1925) Sponsored: IP will change everything you know about connecting video
- Friday 5 Feb 2016 - (2513) Lightworks 12.6 Free adds 1080p Vimeo export plus huge discounts
- Thursday 4 Feb 2016 - (2879) Log recording, noise and the Sony FS5