Anyone working with digital tools today has a wide choice of applications for specialized tasks. An office suite consists of a program for writing text, one for spreadsheets, presentations, a database etc. For a VFX workflow you might use a tool for tracking, one for compositing, one for editing, various tools for simulations and specialized applications for modelling, sculpting, texturing and animation. RedShark contributor and Blender expert Gottfried Hoffmann reports
The Blender Foundation has released Blender 2.70 – the first release of the 2.7x-series. That series will incorporate major changes to the UI. But unlike the switch from the 2.4x to the 2.5x-series, the changes will be integrated gradually
Fur. It's hard to model in CGI. For a start, it's not one object but hundreds or thousands or millions of them. To make them convincing you have to model them; understanding how they move relative to each other, and to the animal or human that they're attached to
It's not easy to make a photo-realistic animation of an eye, but this proves that it can be done - complete with peach-fluff!
The term 'Uncanny Valley' was originally coined by Japanese robotics professor Masahiro Mori back in 1980 and suggests that as we get close to human realism a huge dip in a ‘familiarity’ graph occurs, indicating a sudden negative response. Now the Digital Human League, a superteam of Hollywood visual effects artists and researchers, is looking to bridge the gap with the creation of convincing synthetic humans.
- Sunday 27 Sep 2015 - (46371) Five top tips for colorists
- Tuesday 22 Sep 2015 - (17098) Review - Blackmagic Ursa Mini 4K: The most interesting camera of the decade?
- Friday 25 Sep 2015 - (11976) Full details of the new RED Raven
- Thursday 24 Sep 2015 - (10969) World's fastest video codec can handle 16K
- Wednesday 30 Sep 2015 - (10795) Why working for free is a bad idea
- Sunday 4 Oct 2015 - (113) If CGI is bad, is CGI to blame?
- Saturday 3 Oct 2015 - (1171) Major upgrade for JVC's flagship 4K camera, the GY-LS300
- Friday 2 Oct 2015 - (1406) Digital Cinema Society launches web series for filmmakers and cinematographers
- Friday 2 Oct 2015 - (2623) Dell massively updates Precision Mobile Workstations
- Friday 2 Oct 2015 - (1708) GenArts unveils Sapphire 9 VFX plug-in suite