The paralysis of choice: The modern camera has a vast array of available features, but too often we find ourselves having to jump through hoops to get basic usability via add-ons, or standing in front of a bewilderingly long and involved menu scratched our heads trying to work out what it is we actually want. Just like buying a coffee. As Simon Wyndham writes, this needs to change.
Roland Denning argues that we should place camera choice in its proper context: as a means to serve our craft and not the other way around.
RedShark replay: Could cameras like the AJA CION usher in a return to capturing great images in-camera? Simon Wyndham investigates.
Popular though the Arri Alexa is, some people have been deterred from recording the Raw output by the requirement for the camera to be tethered to an outboard recorder which sometimes cost as much to rent as the camera itself! RedShark contributor Freya reports
Here's another chance to read this great article by Phil Rhodes on why cameras need global shutters. Cheaper, cinematic cameras come with a cost - they tend to have Rolling Shutters, which means that rapid movement can be skewed. The ability to buy cameras with global shutters at all price points can't come soon enough, according to Phil Rhodes
Phil Rhodes takes another look at the Ursa Mini 4K and explores the greatest gift any camera can bestow on a production: letting people simply get on with the business of making films.
- Wednesday 19 Oct 2016 - (95601) 8K is not the future of TV. We think 21:9 Ultra Widescreen is instead. Here's why...
- Saturday 15 Oct 2016 - (39302) Understanding ISO: In digital cameras, it's not what you think it is
- Tuesday 25 Oct 2016 - (25748) Apple could dominate the entire NLE space with the next Final Cut Pro
- Thursday 20 Oct 2016 - (6583) The state of Solid State Drives in 2016
- Tuesday 18 Oct 2016 - (5455) Panasonic AG-UX90 4K mid-sized camcorder on test
- Friday 28 Oct 2016 - (2069) Touch Bar MacBook Pro redefines high-end
- Thursday 27 Oct 2016 - (670) Magic Bullet Suite leaps forward to Version 13
- Thursday 27 Oct 2016 - (1529) Microsoft takes computers back to the drawing board with Surface Studio
- Thursday 27 Oct 2016 - (845) ODA - the immediate archive [sponsored]
- Wednesday 26 Oct 2016 - (778) Quality control: It's only going on the web...