The paralysis of choice: The modern camera has a vast array of available features, but too often we find ourselves having to jump through hoops to get basic usability via add-ons, or standing in front of a bewilderingly long and involved menu scratched our heads trying to work out what it is we actually want. Just like buying a coffee. As Simon Wyndham writes, this needs to change.
Here's another chance to read this great article by Phil Rhodes on why cameras need global shutters. Cheaper, cinematic cameras come with a cost - they tend to have Rolling Shutters, which means that rapid movement can be skewed. The ability to buy cameras with global shutters at all price points can't come soon enough, according to Phil Rhodes
How do you make the right choice from the plethora of good cameras available today? Especially if you want to make a film on your own.
Our resident VFX expert, HaZ, made an on-set discovery that not only eased his workflow, but solidified, in his opinion, the ARRI Alexa as the go-to camera for VFX shoots.
In a statement released today (and reproduced below in full) ARRI has announced that its Amira camera will can be upgraded to record UHD (not 4K) internally, as UHDProRes
In a packed NAB conference room, Lytro revealed the first film shot with its massive, 755 megapixel light field Cinema Camera. But, for all its size, the camera wasn't the only elephant in the room.
- Monday 23 May 2016 - (22621) Nvidia's GTX 1080: Is this the end of Mac-based video production?
- Saturday 14 May 2016 - (20686) The Commodore Amiga: Once upon a time this was what we used to produce digital video
- Saturday 21 May 2016 - (20389) The Sony A7S - a camera born for astrophotography
- Friday 13 May 2016 - (13084) Five things a Colorist would like to say to a DP
- Friday 13 May 2016 - (10880) 7 Free Motion Design Assets for Video Editors [sponsored]
- Friday 27 May 2016 - (186) BBC finds rare Attenborough 'Zoo Quest' colour footage
- Friday 27 May 2016 - (1046) Olympus' impressive new action cam challenges GoPro
- Friday 27 May 2016 - (5334) The Sony PXW-Z150: “It is astounding what Sony has achieved for this price.”
- Thursday 26 May 2016 - (988) Are we ready for driverless...cameras?
- Thursday 26 May 2016 - (4479) Adobe to add native ProRes support to Windows software