Nokia's trying to establish a big lead in phone camera technology with it's new 1020 that sports a 41 megapixel sensor. Just to put it in video terms: that's an 8K sensor, in a phone!
NHK is still pushing forward with its 8K Super-High Vision television project and is planning to begin test broadcasts in Asia next year (2016) with an end goal of broadcasting the entire 2020 Olympics in Tokyo at 8K resolution. To this end it is working closely with Hitachi on developing new 8K video cameras and the latest fruit from this collaboration is the SK-UHD-8060, an 8K camera with a 33-million pixel CMOS sensor.
The 4K broadcasts from the latter stages of the World Cup in Brazil might have grabbed all the headlines, but Japan’s NHK also oversaw the capture of nine — yes, nine — matches in 8K, while the Final was also captured in 360° panoramic video too.
We take a look at Cinemartin's Cinec 4 transcoding tool and whether it's worth a premium over lower-cost and free options.
What's the way forward with video? It's not, it seems, more resolution. What people want is better, not more, pixels
RedShark Replay: The current fixation on resolution is misplaced and we’re in danger of missing the point completely when we make films and videos
The decision by the International Olympic Committee to give the 2020 Olympics to Tokyo means that NHK's decades long project to bring its 8K Super Hi-Vision project to the masses not only has a deadline but that 4K now has the threat of built-in obsolescence to cope with.
Another chance to read about this fascinating debate. This was first published in April 2014. Just because we can do 16 bit, High Dynamic Range, 6K and 8K: does that mean we need it? Here's where to start in the debate
- Sunday 7 Feb 2016 - (38652) The truth about colour. This is stuff every film-maker should know about.
- Wednesday 3 Feb 2016 - (25591) 8-bit or 10-bit? The truth may surprise you
- Tuesday 9 Feb 2016 - (10542) AJA's surprise new camera is a change of direction
- Wednesday 3 Feb 2016 - (8781) Sony's A6300: Mirrorless 4K & world's fastest autofocus for under $1K
- Monday 1 Feb 2016 - (6619) Canon updates its 4K blockbuster DSLR with the EOS-1D X MK II
- Saturday 13 Feb 2016 - (362) Event Horizon showcases the power of blocking and framing
- Friday 12 Feb 2016 - (997) This is what you need to throw multiple 4K images around
- Friday 12 Feb 2016 - (1328) Odyssey 7Q+ to support Varicam LT V-RAW
- Friday 12 Feb 2016 - (915) Indian music and iPad: made for each other
- Thursday 11 Feb 2016 - (1414) RedShark Review: DJI Phantom 3 Advanced Drone