Sky TV (one of the UK's major broadcaster and widely viewed across Europe) is remaining tight-lipped about their plans for 4K. RedShark contacted them recently with an interview request and the response was that no-one was available. This is in stark contrast to when they were launching 3D, when they were somewhat more effusive about their 3D roadmap
The future of TV isn't about resolution but immersion. Netflix wants to take us bigger and wider
While the industry is concentrating hard on a 4K and even 8K future, it probably seems like we've done this sort of thing before. And we have. But there are disruptive technologies looming that could impact our industry in rather more profound ways.
It's kind of surprising to see a top-end camera like the F65 being used in smaller independent films. But the reality is that it's not so expensive and difficult to operate that it's out of range of this type of production. And here's the proof
RED's startling new Helium sensor hasn't just been announced with some far off ship date, it looks like it's here already. Renowned RED expert and RedShark contributor Nick Morrison runs through the detail of what we know, some of the genuinely stunning implications, and where this takes us next.
Recently we've been working with RED and G-Technology to look at some of the issues surrounding working with greater than 4K resolutions. This time, we're looking at workflows.
Ikegami is another manufacturer working with NHK on developing Super Hi-Vision camera kit, and with its latest shoulder-mounted SHK-810 it is also highlighting the astonishing amount of progress made since it manufactured its first 8K prototype back in 2002.
- Sunday 8 Jan 2017 - (24599) Coveted by top movie makers, this is how Cooke makes their lenses
- Monday 16 Jan 2017 - (20450) Just how good is AMD's impressive new Ryzen CPU?
- Friday 13 Jan 2017 - (15952) Why FCPX 10.3 is the NLE of the future
- Tuesday 10 Jan 2017 - (8465) RED Helium is the "best sensor ever" according to DxO
- Tuesday 10 Jan 2017 - (5970) The Panasonic FZ80: 4K for under $400
- Saturday 21 Jan 2017 - (80) A behind-the-scenes look at The Last Starfighter and the very early days of CG
- Friday 20 Jan 2017 - (878) Metabones announces fifth generation EF To E mount adapters
- Friday 20 Jan 2017 - (5403) The Sony FS7 II and why it absolutely is a big deal
- Friday 20 Jan 2017 - (786) Some stunning work using the Phantom Miro
- Thursday 19 Jan 2017 - (2324) The "iPhone" of the video industry? [sponsored]