Ikegami is another manufacturer working with NHK on developing Super Hi-Vision camera kit, and with its latest shoulder-mounted SHK-810 it is also highlighting the astonishing amount of progress made since it manufactured its first 8K prototype back in 2002.
NHK is still pushing forward with its 8K Super-High Vision television project and is planning to begin test broadcasts in Asia next year (2016) with an end goal of broadcasting the entire 2020 Olympics in Tokyo at 8K resolution. To this end it is working closely with Hitachi on developing new 8K video cameras and the latest fruit from this collaboration is the SK-UHD-8060, an 8K camera with a 33-million pixel CMOS sensor.
The decision by the International Olympic Committee to give the 2020 Olympics to Tokyo means that NHK's decades long project to bring its 8K Super Hi-Vision project to the masses not only has a deadline but that 4K now has the threat of built-in obsolescence to cope with.
RED's startling new Helium sensor hasn't just been announced with some far off ship date, it looks like it's here already. Renowned RED expert and RedShark contributor Nick Morrison runs through the detail of what we know, some of the genuinely stunning implications, and where this takes us next.
Sony has developed a mind-bending application for UHDTV (Ultra High Definition TV) that records the action on an entire football pitch, and then allows an area of the pitch to be selected and output at "standard" 1080 or 720 resolutions.
It’s very easy to dismiss 8K as unnecessary if you don’t understand how it relates to screen sizes. There’s a very easy way to think about this.
- Friday 17 Feb 2017 - (18885) Panasonic GH5 Review: the first full hands-on report
- Sunday 19 Feb 2017 - (12454) The dramatic ways that technology has changed editing
- Saturday 25 Feb 2017 - (12426) How to completely break the rules with colour
- Friday 24 Feb 2017 - (7879) Sony mirrorless cameras’ secret super power: Clear Image Zoom
- Friday 17 Feb 2017 - (6745) Transform Your Video With Light Leak Overlays (+ Freebie Inside) [sponsored]
- Tuesday 28 Feb 2017 - (265) Space X: The coolest video we saw last week
- Monday 27 Feb 2017 - (742) Sony Xperia XZ Premium: the extreme slo-mo cellphone
- Monday 27 Feb 2017 - (236) How driverless cars will lead to better cameras
- Monday 27 Feb 2017 - (3076) Panasonic GH5 noise reduction appears to be spectacular
- Sunday 26 Feb 2017 - (1554) Fire at Sea: How to grade for documentary