The current fixation on resolution is misplaced and we’re in danger of missing the point completely when we make films and videos
In many ways IBC2013 was a quiet show. Yes it boasted record visitor numbers, but few things happened out in Amsterdam that hadn’t been predicted beforehand: namely HEVC-powered 4K is on the horizon, the second screen is increasingly important to broadcasters’ plans, and higher frame-rate imaging is moving closer and closer to mainstream acceptance. Andy Stout looks back on five days in Amsterdam
Another chance to read about this fascinating debate. This was first published in April 2014. Just because we can do 16 bit, High Dynamic Range, 6K and 8K: does that mean we need it? Here's where to start in the debate
It’s probably no surprise that Red has been fast to 8K in the digital cinema market as it has always been a company that pushes the resolution envelope. But in a surprise NAB announcement, Red says it is going to be releasing an 8K full frame sensor upgrade for its Weapon camera that will be able to record 8K at a rather staggering 75fps. Most people were expecting such an announcement to be a ways off yet.
Here's another chance to read this controversial article, which is also the most read-ever piece in RedShark. What do you think?
Sky TV (one of the UK's major broadcaster and widely viewed across Europe) is remaining tight-lipped about their plans for 4K. RedShark contacted them recently with an interview request and the response was that no-one was available. This is in stark contrast to when they were launching 3D, when they were somewhat more effusive about their 3D roadmap
- Sunday 27 Sep 2015 - (46409) Five top tips for colorists
- Tuesday 22 Sep 2015 - (17122) Review - Blackmagic Ursa Mini 4K: The most interesting camera of the decade?
- Friday 25 Sep 2015 - (11986) Full details of the new RED Raven
- Wednesday 30 Sep 2015 - (11375) Why working for free is a bad idea
- Thursday 24 Sep 2015 - (10999) World's fastest video codec can handle 16K
- Sunday 4 Oct 2015 - (350) If CGI is bad, is CGI to blame?
- Saturday 3 Oct 2015 - (1238) Major upgrade for JVC's flagship 4K camera, the GY-LS300
- Friday 2 Oct 2015 - (1516) Digital Cinema Society launches web series for filmmakers and cinematographers
- Friday 2 Oct 2015 - (2721) Dell massively updates Precision Mobile Workstations
- Friday 2 Oct 2015 - (1794) GenArts unveils Sapphire 9 VFX plug-in suite