I recently had several hours to play with a pre-release Sony PMW-F55 camera. Sony also supplied me with 2 64gb SxsPro+ cards, the AXS-5 4K recorder, one AXSM 4K media storage, the new LCD viewfinder, the new Olivine battery, and last but hardly least, a new Sony 85mm prime lens
RedShark contributor Phil Rhodes pointed out something to me the other day that sounds obvious when you hear it: that camera makers never used to make film, and yet - if you can remember that far back - it is the film that determines the quality and feel of the photograph (and the lens, of course), not the camera
Qualcomm are among the top tier of mobile phone chipset manufacturers, and, like their competitors, they're pushing the boundaries of performance all the time. And they're making their chipsets look like they're more at home in a workstation than a smartphone!
A recent global firmware update for all Blackmagic cameras boosts the top Prores recording option on the URSA and introduces other fixes and improvements for the rest of the lineup.
Perhaps the biggest progress in TVs in the last twenty years is the sheer beauty of their design, and the engineering marvels that have made it possible
You may have heard that one of the top camera manufacturers is taking legal action against another for alleged patent infringement. This is news, but there's very little point in speculating about the outcome at this stage. Only a select group of people working for those companies will have access to evidence that proves the rights or wrongs of the case. We certainly don't
Can these cheap sets really be any good?
For those with a Sony A7s or Panasonic GH4, here's a bit of good news: the Atomos is officially accepting pre-orders for the Shogun, the world's first 4K HDMI recorder, and throwing a Spyder into the mix.
Sony's setting the pace for 4K, from the Lens to the Living Room, to use one of their favourite marketing phrases. And to show their commitment to the format, they've annouced that the're remastering some of their Blu Ray titles from 4K masters. It's good because it's a source of higher quality content for 4K display owners. But RedShark contributor Freya thinks it will also confuse customers. Here's her thoughts on the subject
- Saturday 14 May 2016 - (20572) The Commodore Amiga: Once upon a time this was what we used to produce digital video
- Saturday 21 May 2016 - (20240) The Sony A7S - a camera born for astrophotography
- Monday 23 May 2016 - (18384) Nvidia's GTX 1080: Is this the end of Mac-based video production?
- Friday 13 May 2016 - (12708) Five things a Colorist would like to say to a DP
- Friday 13 May 2016 - (10690) 7 Free Motion Design Assets for Video Editors [sponsored]
- Thursday 26 May 2016 - (108) LEDs and the power to (battery) weight ratio
- Wednesday 25 May 2016 - (653) Update on the sale of Sony Vegas to Magix (Further update: Sony's own statement).
- Wednesday 25 May 2016 - (619) Europe mulls quota on streaming content
- Wednesday 25 May 2016 - (3028) Sony sells Vegas and more to Magix
- Tuesday 24 May 2016 - (1422) BigFly's impressive drone showreel