In a major new article, Phil Rhodes explores the background to HEVC/H.265, and explains what makes it so good at compressing video. Read this if you want to know how almost all video - including 4K - will be delivered in the near future
When your showreel looks as good as this, you really don't have anything to prove. You don't have to convince anyone that your kit is good enough for the movies, because your showreel is the movies
Most of us, if we're honest, struggle slightly when it comes to configuring even HD equipment and settings. There are enough combinations of frame rates, codecs and resolutions that just about everyone has to stop and think when they're setting up their gear
This morning, I woke up in my Las Vegas hotel room unspeakably early thanks to persistent jet lag. In my email was a note from RedShark contributor Freya Black saying "Here's the article on the two new Blackmagic cameras"
Think repurposing video content is the same as upscaling it? Think again. We explain the difference and what it means for 4K.
It dawned on me just the other day: we are living in the future. There is so much innovation and new technology around us that it no longer feels like we're merely living in the present. It's as if we're in a science fiction movie where we've been transported forward by ten or twenty years
The proverbial "little engine that could," the Axiom Beta open source 4K camera project, just reached its funding goal on Indiegogo. Now it's time to take those stretch goals a little more seriously.
- Sunday 11 Oct 2015 - (45215) We may have solved the mystery of why film just looks better
- Friday 9 Oct 2015 - (17915) Light L16: Revolutionary computational photography camera hits the market
- Wednesday 30 Sep 2015 - (14899) Why working for free is a bad idea
- Tuesday 29 Sep 2015 - (9804) Why the film look still matters in the digital age
- Monday 5 Oct 2015 - (7641) RedShark Review: AJA Cion out in the real world
- Wednesday 14 Oct 2015 - (88) Royalty free music licensing?
- Tuesday 13 Oct 2015 - (723) Easy drag-and-drop video effects clips from Rampant
- Tuesday 13 Oct 2015 - (5955) Was the DSLR revolution worth it?
- Tuesday 13 Oct 2015 - (1280) Content: The big problem with VR
- Monday 12 Oct 2015 - (4139) How to calibrate your monitor