With a price that makes Sony's 84" 4K Bravia look like an absolute bargain, the memorably-named UN85S9 from Samsung is as much modern art as it is a 4K TV. We're not sure why it costs as much as a mid-range Audi, but the specs, including localised LED lighting, look pretty good. Even if not many people buy it to use in their living rooms, we're pretty sure it will be popular as an electronic "roadworks" sign
In a recent letter to RedShark Editor, David Shapton, veteran RedShark reader Joe Wellman schools us whippersnappers on the technical aspects of video transmission, including 4K.
Most of us despair when we see technology and science presented to a non-technical audience on TV. It's not easy to explain stuff in the short time available, but often it's over-simplified to the point of being nonsensical. So how does a national UK broadcaster deal with the topic of 4K?
Cheap or vintage lenses, filters and poor focus can easily downgrade your 4K camera's performance to HD or worse!
Up to now, Sky (full name BSkyB), the UK-based satellite broadcaster has been silent on the subject of 4K, saying only that they are "looking at it", and given that you'd have to be in orbit round Neptune not to be "looking" at 4K, that doesn't tell us very much at all
Phil Rhodes wonders what happens now that the best digital camera costs less than the best film camera ever did.
H. Paul Moon has used his considerable camera skills to capture the Chigago Skyline on a GH4
- Friday 17 Feb 2017 - (17072) Panasonic GH5 Review: the first full hands-on report
- Sunday 19 Feb 2017 - (12126) The dramatic ways that technology has changed editing
- Tuesday 7 Feb 2017 - (7115) Sony launches documentary film contest [sponsored]
- Tuesday 14 Feb 2017 - (5827) DJI Osmo Mobile: good run and gun on a budget?
- Friday 17 Feb 2017 - (5338) Transform Your Video With Light Leak Overlays (+ Freebie Inside) [sponsored]
- Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 - (360) Phantom Flex4K adds global shutter to high speed options
- Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 - (810) Planet Earth II to showcase what UHD Blu-ray can really do
- Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 - (1547) Sony’s new FE lenses: a first hands-on
- Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 - (1260) The Accusys Thunderbolt T3 is fast shared storage for your Thunderbolt devices [sponsored]
- Monday 20 Feb 2017 - (1069) RedShark Live: How to shoot for HDR