Studio & Broadcast
25 Jun 2015
8K? 4K? HD? No. This is the only contemporary film to have been downgraded to VHS quality to give it that oh-so-smooth '80s look. And it's a masterpiece.Read more...
22 Jun 2015
Getting a "look" right is traditionally thought of as something you do in post. And you definitely wouldn't expect a quite strong look to be applied to a multi camera live TV shoot. But that's exactly what the BBC has done in this performance from Jool's Holland's "Later... with Jool's Holland" from BBC 2 on 19th May 2015Read more...
14 Jun 2015
Another chance to read Serge Golikov's excellent article on the the often-confusing matter of aspect ratios, letterboxing, and pillarboxing, giving RedShark readers a lesson of cinematic rectangles (in rectangles).Read more...
29 May 2015
One of the fastest expanding areas of our industry is corporate video. Now more often called "video communication", it's a great way to get your video skills used and paid for. Here's a TV programme we made about it.Read more...
07 May 2015
Given all the effort and expense spent on making impressive visuals, it's a bit of a waste when you consider the woeful state of image fidelity on consumer televisions. The answer to this problem requires an adjustment...of attitude. By Roland Denning.Read more...
27 Apr 2015
Why do we even bother shooting high quality footage when satellite and terrestrial broadcast compression throws it all away?Read more...
While many production houses and broadcasters are adopting 4K workflows, guest author Fran de Souza, who resides on the border between Uruguay and Brazil, details his television station's struggle in transitioning from SD to HD broadcast in 2015 and the stroke of ingenuity that made it happen.Read more...
17 Apr 2015
One of the factors reining the GoPro HERO in from complete industry ubiquity has been the lack of a live transmission option for broadcasters beyond some home-brew workarounds. That has all just changed with the launch of the GoPro HEROCast, but it ain’t going to be cheap.Read more...
14 Apr 2015
NHK is still pushing forward with its 8K Super-High Vision television project and is planning to begin test broadcasts in Asia next year (2016) with an end goal of broadcasting the entire 2020 Olympics in Tokyo at 8K resolution. To this end it is working closely with Hitachi on developing new 8K video cameras and the latest fruit from this…Read more...
- Sunday 24 Apr 2016 - (21145) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Tuesday 26 Apr 2016 - (8602) The world's smallest 4K interchangeable lens camera
- Friday 15 Apr 2016 - (8426) The Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera: "A great addition to anyone's arsenal."
- Friday 15 Apr 2016 - (8045) 5 things every video editor should have on their hard drive [sponsored]
- Monday 18 Apr 2016 - (6355) Dramatic updates for URSA Mini and new products from Blackmagic
- Friday 29 Apr 2016 - (318) Watching the Titanic sink in realtime
- Friday 29 Apr 2016 - (658) Don't panic - it's just log!
- Friday 29 Apr 2016 - (2315) 3 ways to help if you have to use a different NLE
- Thursday 28 Apr 2016 - (1030) RedShark's Teradek NAB live tv shows - Episode I, Nick Rashby, President, AJA
- Thursday 28 Apr 2016 - (736) The Zeiss VR One: an important headset for the future?
3D 4K 4K Camera 8K Animation Apple Arri Arri Alexa Atomos Audio BBC Blackmagic Blackmagic Cinema Camera Blackmagic pocket cinema camera Camcorder camera Cameras Canon CGI Cinematography D16 Digital Bolex DSLR Editing F55 Film Firmware update gh4 GoPro HD HDR iPhone lenses Lightworks NAB NLE Nvidia panasonic ProRes Raw RED RedShark Review Samsung Sensor Sony SSD technology UHD VFX