The UK’s industry training body, Creative Skillset, has released its latest Creative Media Workforce Survey which details how much is earned by who at all levels of the industry. It’s not particularly happy reading, especially if you work in film. And freelance. Or you’re a woman.Read more...
So, how does an emerging country move onto the international stage and try and compete for production dollars? Fresh from a working tour of Colombia, Phil Rhodes reveals a modern country trying to cast itself as an increasingly viable option for runaway film productions.Read more...
The Regent Street Cinema, one of the most famous locations in the early history of film and a key part of the genre's story in London, has just been reopened as a modern, state-of-the-art boutique cinema.Read more...
One interesting perspective available from the halls of NAB if you knew who to talk to came from the hire company/equipment rental bosses who, faced with yet more camera models and accessories to be added to their fleets, are starting to feel the strain.Read more...
Something is different about NAB this year and it's probably a good thing as an industry once wedded to launching new products instead discovers the joy of upgrades, modularity, durability and extending the product life cycle. Buy a new camera today and the chances are it will last a lot longer than one even from just a few years ago.Read more...
We’ve talked before about High Dynamic Range imaging and how we think it might turn the industry on its head, providing not just more pixels but better ones with a lot more colour information. Even better though, it’s coming to a set near you soon courtesy of Dolby Vision and VIZIO. This is now a 2015 technology.Read more...
[And Orad is bought.] The Avid press conference on Saturday morning was a fascinating confirmation that we live in a time of extreme technological change and that Avid is now an IT company - and it makes more audio than video hardware. It also announced first thing on Monday morning that it's spending around $60m buying realtime graphics company Orad.Read more...
- Sunday 22 Nov 2015 - (29989) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part one: understanding SSDs
- Thursday 19 Nov 2015 - (21091) Are cameras getting a bit too "DIY" these days?
- Sunday 15 Nov 2015 - (17907) The Commodore Amiga: Once upon a time this was what we used to produce digital video
- Friday 20 Nov 2015 - (13487) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Saturday 14 Nov 2015 - (10103) A revolution in cheap cine lenses? We review the Veydra MFT Primes
- Thursday 26 Nov 2015 - (9090) How to design SSD-based PC video workstations - Part two: using SSDs
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (988) RedShark Review: Sony PMW-PZ1 — 4K just got easier
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (638) Remembering Betamax: a truly game-changing tape format
- Wednesday 25 Nov 2015 - (1368) CalDigit takes wrappers off new USB C docks
- Tuesday 24 Nov 2015 - (717) The end of digital signage? Or just the beginning?
3D 4K 8K Alexa Animation Apple Arri Arri Alexa Atomos Audio BBC Blackmagic Blackmagic Cinema Camera Blackmagic Design Blackmagic pocket cinema camera Camcorder camera Cameras Canon CGI D16 Digital Bolex DSLR Editing F55 Film gh4 GoPro HD iPhone lenses Lightworks Mac Pro NAB NLE Nvidia panasonic production ProRes Raw RED Review Samsung Sensor Sony Sony A7s SSD Thunderbolt UHD VFX