Ned Soltz is a veteran shooter, editor, consultant, author and industry expert. He is Contributing Editor of DigitalVideo Magazine and is a frequent contributor to numerous print and web publications as well as podcasts. Ned was among the founders of the LA Final Cut Pro User Group (now LA Creative Pro User Group) and is currently president of the New York City user group Mopictive NYC.
We’ve already covered the announcement of Sony’s FE 100mm f2.8 STF GM OSS and FE 85mm f1.8 lenses, but just the other day Ned Soltz was part of a group of journalists who had the opportunity to shoot with both lenses and to grill Sony about them. He left the shoot impressed.
Ned Soltz liked the look of the Sony FS7 II so much he bought one. Happily, in unboxing it and pairing it with the new Sony 18-110 f/4 lens and a loaned Zacuto VCT Pro Baseplate, he reckons he has a reliable workhorse that is very much worth the money.
Sony’s announcement of two new E-mount lenses (and a flash with remote capabilities) yesterday probably says as much about what else Sony is working on as it does about the products themselves.
If you want a good yardstick for technological progress in cameras, their increasing capability in low light shows just how fast development is progressing. And while the Pentax KP might be limited on the video side compared to some of its peers, a 819200 ISO in a $1099 unit is astonishing.
There have been a lot of lukewarm comments about Sony’s FS7 II recently, but Ned Soltz begs to differ. If you are mounting heavy lenses, wanting to shoot with precise DOF consistency or shooting HDR for broadcast standards, then the FS7 II is a big deal.
DJI has kicked off the drone section of CES 2017 in a suitably hyperactive manner, showing two possible prototypes of the forthcoming — and extremely interesting — CrystalSky monitor, as well as adding some new mapping and control software and expanding Osmo.
- Friday 17 Feb 2017 - (17819) Panasonic GH5 Review: the first full hands-on report
- Sunday 19 Feb 2017 - (12244) The dramatic ways that technology has changed editing
- Friday 17 Feb 2017 - (6064) Transform Your Video With Light Leak Overlays (+ Freebie Inside) [sponsored]
- Tuesday 14 Feb 2017 - (5942) DJI Osmo Mobile: good run and gun on a budget?
- Saturday 18 Feb 2017 - (5508) SLR Magic's Anamorphot primes: anamorphic on a (relative) budget
- Thursday 23 Feb 2017 - (195) ZEISS Cinema Zoom Lenses [sponsored]
- Thursday 23 Feb 2017 - (739) First look at Varicam Pure 4K raw footage
- Thursday 23 Feb 2017 - (735) SmallHD takes its first steps into OLED
- Wednesday 22 Feb 2017 - (1128) Sony claims world’s fastest flash memory
- Wednesday 22 Feb 2017 - (1146) Fujifilm releases radical new MK lenses