Andy has spent over two decades writing about all aspects of the broadcast and film industries for a variety of high-profile industry publications on both sides of the Atlantic. During that time the industry has moved from 4:3 SD to 16:9 SD to HD and now on to 4K HDR. He's getting kind of curious to see where it goes next.
Yes, yes, we know you've heard this before, but Game of Thrones has set the bar for TV VFX up yet another notch with the climactic sequence of the end of S07E04, 'The Spoils of War'. Some pretty major spoilers after the break: you have been warned
Watching this well-wrapped camera operator and their equally well-wrapped camera get doused in a torrent of red liquid, you realise that the latest behind the scenes video for Star Wars Episode 8 shows that it's going to be all about the large scale practical effects.
In a couple of hours Season 7 of Game of Thrones will debut and we'll start getting some inkling into the fate of Westeros as, after seven years of foretelling, Winter arrives with a vengeance. We'll also get to see some of the best VFX work this side of a major cinema blockbuster.
RED has always been a company that likes to play its marketing cards close to its chest, but it's latest announcement has unleashed a greater than normal torrent of speculation. Why? Because this mysterious post to the RED User forum came from none other than Jim Jannard himself.
- Tuesday 8 Aug 2017 - (11508) Why AMD’s Ryzen Threadripper is such a big deal
- Saturday 12 Aug 2017 - (11146) 11 things filmmakers need to consider about audio
- Saturday 19 Aug 2017 - (10885) Windows vs macOS: Does it even matter anymore?
- Friday 18 Aug 2017 - (8116) Canon's powerful lower priced low light alternative
- Friday 11 Aug 2017 - (7455) The Sony FS7 II: best in class
- Tuesday 22 Aug 2017 - (274) Can you spot post colourisation?
- Tuesday 22 Aug 2017 - (604) How IBC stays ahead of the curve
- Tuesday 22 Aug 2017 - (2797) Digital vs film. Has the digital process become over complicated and expensive?
- Monday 21 Aug 2017 - (1201) Ten years of superlative aviation filmmaking
- Monday 21 Aug 2017 - (2330) Is the Nikon D850 waiting in the wings with 8K timelapse?