Andy Stout, European Editor
Andy is European Editor of RedShark. He has spent nearly two decades writing about all aspects of the broadcast and film industries for a variety of high-profile industry publications on both sides of the Atlantic. During that time the industry has moved from 4:3 SD to 16:9 SD to HD and now on to 4K. He's getting kind of curious to see where it goes next.
As predicted, VR has been at the forefront of many discussions at NAB. While YouTube’s introduction of live-streaming 360º video has generated many headlines, on the capture front GoPro is leading the way with its new Omni rig.
Not only has Blackmagic Design announced that the long-awaited URSA Mini 4.6K and Micro Cinema Camera are shipping with immediate effect, but, perhaps more significantly, that their spec has been changed and global shutter has been ditched.
Vapourware, announced products that then fail to materialise or have release dates that slip and slip and slip, has a long and ignoble history in the software industry. It now seems though that it is endemic amongst camera manufacturers too and, Andy Stout reckons, this is not healthy.
The BBC’s Planet Earth was one of the most influential programmes in the history of television and was a huge influence on the uptake of HD sets and services when it first transmitted in 2006. Can the sequel have the same effect with 4K?
- Saturday 30 Apr 2016 - (27956) All about sensors, lenses and depth of field.
- Sunday 24 Apr 2016 - (21649) Kinefinity: the greatest camera company you never heard of
- Tuesday 26 Apr 2016 - (9307) The world's smallest 4K interchangeable lens camera
- Friday 22 Apr 2016 - (6364) RedShark NAB Awards - The Results
- Wednesday 20 Apr 2016 - (4863) Kinefinity promises new TERRA 6K camera for $6K
- Wednesday 4 May 2016 - (215) Upgrades for AJA’s CION and RovoCam
- Wednesday 4 May 2016 - (710) Practical Magic: The ‘A New Morning' video shows what Magic Leap can really do
- Tuesday 3 May 2016 - (752) Leyard unveils massive 8K LED display
- Tuesday 3 May 2016 - (900) 5 ways a Media Asset Management system can help grow your production business [sponsored]
- Tuesday 3 May 2016 - (2344) Canon's EOS-1D X Mark II is available immediately