Phil Rhodes is a Cinematographer, Technologist, Writer and above all Communicator. Never afraid to speak his mind, and always worth listening to, he's a frequent contributor to RedShark.
Playing with numbers: This years IBC, while not giving us wall to wall announcements, was possibly a coming of age for the promotion of new technology, with an emphasis on benefits and usability rather than bombarding us with complex numbers and figures. Phil Rhodes gives us his verdict on IBC 2017.
RedShark at IBC 2017: AI will take over the world, and cameras are now all very good. This might seem like a statement of the obvious, but a measure of how far things have come can be seen by the latest developments. Phil Rhodes gives us his roundup of day three at IBC.
RedShark at IBC 2017: While the primary attention has been reserved for Sony's high-powered Venice camera, which had its European unveiling at IBC earlier today, there's something else going on which is, technologically, at least as interesting. The UHC-8300.
The market for 7-inch, on-camera monitors is a crowded one. Undeterred, Cinemartin, the Barcelona-based manufacturer of a wide variety of camera accessories, has just announced a new high-brightness display, the Eclipse, which might just be small enough and bright enough to stand out from the crowd.
RedShark Review: It's long been a popular idea to strap a light on top of a camera, which is probably why there are so many options at so many price points. Core SWX's Bolt 250 is a recent addition to the world of on-camera lights. It has been shown at NAB and is priced toward the upper end of the market. Because of this and because there are so many options, the difference is really in the details.
Every so often, someone will dig through a box full of old junk and turn up a bit of ancient film which turns out to be the new, earliest example of some particular technique. Such is the case with a bit of colour footage, discovered in 2012, of, er, some children hitting an aquarium with some flowers - in summer 1902, and shot by filmmaker, Edward Turner.
- Saturday 9 Sep 2017 - (47726) The truth about colour. This is stuff every film-maker should know about.
- Tuesday 12 Sep 2017 - (8604) Canon announces two new fixed lens 4K camcorders with high frame rate capabilities
- Wednesday 13 Sep 2017 - (7906) HP boasts new workstation is ‘the most powerful on the planet’
- Friday 15 Sep 2017 - (7110) Sony's new 120fps 8K broadcast camera offers a step change for live broadcasting
- Sunday 17 Sep 2017 - (5393) Panasonic updates us on the amazing AU-EVA1 camcorder plus new footage [Video]
- Friday 22 Sep 2017 - (571) Remembering Final Cut Pro 7 - the end of an era
- Friday 22 Sep 2017 - (662) Atomos Sumo monitors to receive new capabilities with firmware updates [Video]
- Friday 22 Sep 2017 - (980) IBC 2017 - Have manufacturers stopped playing the numbers game?
- Friday 22 Sep 2017 - (4171) First footage from the new Sony CineAlta VENICE
- Thursday 21 Sep 2017 - (2456) Ignite Express: a very capable set of free plugins