Phil Rhodes is a Cinematographer, Technologist, Writer and above all Communicator. Never afraid to speak his mind, and always worth listening to, he's a frequent contributor to RedShark.
RedShark Review: Miller's ArrowX 3 (along with the rest of the ArrowX series) hearkens back to the days when a tripod could reasonably be expected to last decades, with a wide counterbalance range that should accommodate modern cameras large and small.
ENG cameras have changed a lot in the past few years and nothing exemplifies the new breed as much as Panasonic's recently announced HC-X1 4K/UHD ENG camera - a unit packed full of features and capabilities being released this month for a meagre $3199.
One of the consequences of the massive R&D spend on the computer in your pocket is that new technology is appearing there first — and that includes some tools and techniques that we’d like to see on our film and video cameras.
While flash media is an increasingly ubiquitous storage solution for consumer devices, thanks to its ability to stay ahead in terms of the space-to-money ratio much of video production still relies on metal spinning disks.
- Tuesday 6 Dec 2016 - (14500) The RED Epic-W: the best dual purpose still/cinematography camera yet?
- Monday 28 Nov 2016 - (7967) Windows vs macOS: Does it even matter anymore?
- Sunday 27 Nov 2016 - (7194) RED’s radical Helium S35 8K sensor: the story so far
- Friday 2 Dec 2016 - (4154) The Panasonic HC-X1 - the new breed of ENG
- Thursday 1 Dec 2016 - (4032) Big Lightworks news: Version 14 public beta is released with a new User Interface
- Thursday 8 Dec 2016 - (86) Imagineer ramps up mocha Pro features
- Thursday 8 Dec 2016 - (391) Learn Resolve editing from importing media to final delivery
- Wednesday 7 Dec 2016 - (518) Miller ArrowX 3 tripod on test: it's all a question of balance
- Wednesday 7 Dec 2016 - (1373) Sony FS7 II out and about in New York [footage]
- Wednesday 7 Dec 2016 - (440) Steerable lasers: is this how video projectors will work in the future?