Every so often, we take a look at which gear is getting ready to peak over the horizon and there’s no better place to find new tech for shooting film and video than sites like Kickstarter and its ilk. So what’s grabbing our attention this time around?
All too often, you may be stuck with needing to shoot an interview or take a photo and you only have one light to shine on your subject. Ordinarily, that would mean long shadows and an unappealing image, but with a few bounce boards you can create the look of 3-point lighting and save the day.
The more mobile we get as content creators, the more cumbersome it becomes to bring a tripod along with us. But that doesn’t change the need for stable images and videos, so what is a shooter to do? Well, there are plenty of other ways to skin the stability cat.
Black and white digital cameras are fascinating. With no Bayer filter, you capture the full resolution of the sensor. The Phase One IQ3 has an astonishing 100 Megapixel sensor. Surely this is the ultimate black and white camera? Even if, unfortunately, it doesn't capture video
Before you go out and pay $300-500 or more on a new lens, wouldn't it help to know what kind of pictures that lens will actually give you? That's where Lens vs. Lens, a website that uses photos from Flickr to show you how lenses perform, comes in handy.
Thanks to the popularity of mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras (MILC) such as the Panasonic GH4 and Sony α7, the electronic shutter has gained market share in shooting higher quality digital images. But will it ever supplant the mechanical shutter of the DSLR?
- Saturday 17 Jun 2017 - (12115) Working with resolutions above 4K: We interview renowned cinematographer Shane Hurlbut, ASC
- Saturday 24 Jun 2017 - (11665) When NASA calls a camera revolutionary, it really means it
- Saturday 17 Jun 2017 - (9198) Just in case you doubted that 8K video is the new still photography...
- Friday 16 Jun 2017 - (8277) 5 Tips from top Colorist Warren Eagles
- Wednesday 21 Jun 2017 - (7748) The home-brew return of anamorphic
- Tuesday 27 Jun 2017 - (49) Why reviews can only give you part of the story
- Tuesday 27 Jun 2017 - (1514) Six VFX Editing tips to keep your project organised
- Monday 26 Jun 2017 - (1097) Practical effects so good they need a 'not CG' disclaimer
- Monday 26 Jun 2017 - (1000) Signiant: An easy way to boost your production business [sponsored]
- Monday 26 Jun 2017 - (1044) Blackmagic ships Bluetooth remote app