One of the quiet little revolutions going on in stills photography is the return to shooting pictures on film. With SLR film cameras and lenses cheap and easy to find on eBay, and with digital shooters wanting a retro look beyond the digital manipulation achievable with software, it’s easy to see why Kodak is bringing back one of the most iconic film stocks ever. Ektachrome.
It's been eagerly awaited, but GoPro has now unveiled the latest in its Hero series of cameras, the Hero 6, replete with an all new custom GoPro designed processor. George Shaw gives us the lowdown on this and the other new product announcements from the company.
If you’re travelling overseas, bringing along your drone can be a dicey affair. Sometimes, you may even have it confiscated, never to see it again. But with a little preplanning and researching local UAV restrictions, you can bring along a drone and get those great aerial shots. Don't leave home until you've read this essential guide by George Shaw.
Flying high. With the easy availablity of compact drones such as the DJI Phantom and GoPro Karma, the opportunities to shoot sweeping cinematic vistas on a budget are better than ever before. But in order to get the best image from these devices, sometimes the camera needs a bit of a helping hand.
Every so often, we take a look at which gear is getting ready to peak over the horizon and there’s no better place to find new tech for shooting film and video than sites like Kickstarter and its ilk. So what’s grabbing our attention this time around?
All too often, you may be stuck with needing to shoot an interview or take a photo and you only have one light to shine on your subject. Ordinarily, that would mean long shadows and an unappealing image, but with a few bounce boards you can create the look of 3-point lighting and save the day.
The more mobile we get as content creators, the more cumbersome it becomes to bring a tripod along with us. But that doesn’t change the need for stable images and videos, so what is a shooter to do? Well, there are plenty of other ways to skin the stability cat.
- Sunday 10 Dec 2017 - (33557) How to understand "Log" or Cine-style recordings
- Sunday 3 Dec 2017 - (31033) Here's how to make your films look good
- Monday 11 Dec 2017 - (29206) For all film makers: How to avoid losing your stuff and where to put it
- Wednesday 13 Dec 2017 - (24979) Want to earn money from your film? You'll find that making it was the easy part...
- Monday 11 Dec 2017 - (9171) More megapixels are coming. Just get used to it [opinion]
- Saturday 16 Dec 2017 - (642) Masters of Light: a classic revisited
- Friday 15 Dec 2017 - (1382) How to get the best from low bitrate cameras
- Friday 15 Dec 2017 - (1453) The essentials of controlling your exposure part 1: aperture
- Friday 15 Dec 2017 - (1205) NewBlueFX Titler Pro 6: an incredibly fast and easy way to create titles
- Thursday 14 Dec 2017 - (3362) Final Cut Pro X 10.4 now unleashed