Every so often, we take a look at which gear is getting ready to peak over the horizon and there’s no better place to find new tech for shooting film and video than sites like Kickstarter and its ilk. So what’s grabbing our attention this time around?
All too often, you may be stuck with needing to shoot an interview or take a photo and you only have one light to shine on your subject. Ordinarily, that would mean long shadows and an unappealing image, but with a few bounce boards you can create the look of 3-point lighting and save the day.
The more mobile we get as content creators, the more cumbersome it becomes to bring a tripod along with us. But that doesn’t change the need for stable images and videos, so what is a shooter to do? Well, there are plenty of other ways to skin the stability cat.
Black and white digital cameras are fascinating. With no Bayer filter, you capture the full resolution of the sensor. The Phase One IQ3 has an astonishing 100 Megapixel sensor. Surely this is the ultimate black and white camera? Even if, unfortunately, it doesn't capture video
Before you go out and pay $300-500 or more on a new lens, wouldn't it help to know what kind of pictures that lens will actually give you? That's where Lens vs. Lens, a website that uses photos from Flickr to show you how lenses perform, comes in handy.
Thanks to the popularity of mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras (MILC) such as the Panasonic GH4 and Sony α7, the electronic shutter has gained market share in shooting higher quality digital images. But will it ever supplant the mechanical shutter of the DSLR?
- Tuesday 8 Aug 2017 - (11051) Why AMD’s Ryzen Threadripper is such a big deal
- Saturday 12 Aug 2017 - (10736) 11 things filmmakers need to consider about audio
- Thursday 3 Aug 2017 - (9697) Panasonic's 5.7K EVA1: full details here at last - and they were worth the wait!
- Friday 11 Aug 2017 - (6985) The Sony FS7 II: best in class
- Sunday 6 Aug 2017 - (6777) The Practical Guide to Lighting on a Budget - Part One
- Thursday 17 Aug 2017 - (141) Streamlining your workflow with metadata
- Thursday 17 Aug 2017 - (844) Are the fabled Processor Wars back again?
- Thursday 17 Aug 2017 - (1395) Struggling on a budget? Maybe there is a used camera bargain out there for you
- Wednesday 16 Aug 2017 - (530) A box with a lens: high level photography with low level equipment
- Wednesday 16 Aug 2017 - (468) Smoothing the workflow: Lesspain's Kyno receives major update