One of the quiet little revolutions going on in stills photography is the return to shooting pictures on film. With SLR film cameras and lenses cheap and easy to find on eBay, and with digital shooters wanting a retro look beyond the digital manipulation achievable with software, it’s easy to see why Kodak is bringing back one of the most iconic film stocks ever. Ektachrome.
It's been eagerly awaited, but GoPro has now unveiled the latest in its Hero series of cameras, the Hero 6, replete with an all new custom GoPro designed processor. George Shaw gives us the lowdown on this and the other new product announcements from the company.
If you’re travelling overseas, bringing along your drone can be a dicey affair. Sometimes, you may even have it confiscated, never to see it again. But with a little preplanning and researching local UAV restrictions, you can bring along a drone and get those great aerial shots. Don't leave home until you've read this essential guide by George Shaw.
Flying high. With the easy availablity of compact drones such as the DJI Phantom and GoPro Karma, the opportunities to shoot sweeping cinematic vistas on a budget are better than ever before. But in order to get the best image from these devices, sometimes the camera needs a bit of a helping hand.
Every so often, we take a look at which gear is getting ready to peak over the horizon and there’s no better place to find new tech for shooting film and video than sites like Kickstarter and its ilk. So what’s grabbing our attention this time around?
All too often, you may be stuck with needing to shoot an interview or take a photo and you only have one light to shine on your subject. Ordinarily, that would mean long shadows and an unappealing image, but with a few bounce boards you can create the look of 3-point lighting and save the day.
The more mobile we get as content creators, the more cumbersome it becomes to bring a tripod along with us. But that doesn’t change the need for stable images and videos, so what is a shooter to do? Well, there are plenty of other ways to skin the stability cat.
- Saturday 14 Oct 2017 - (263496) FPGAs: the processing miracle in our video tech
- Friday 13 Oct 2017 - (10139) Blade Runner 2049 is a cinematic masterpiece - Here's why
- Friday 6 Oct 2017 - (8277) RED surprises everyone with a new full-frame 8K sensor: meet Monstro 8K VV
- Tuesday 10 Oct 2017 - (4886) In the future you may be able to print your own camera
- Friday 6 Oct 2017 - (3960) The return of vintage lenses and uncoated optics
- Tuesday 17 Oct 2017 - (220) CalDigit AV Pro 2 is a neat storage and connectivity hub
- Tuesday 17 Oct 2017 - (1054) Why the Pimax 8K headset could be a future game changer
- Tuesday 17 Oct 2017 - (2829) The remarkable robots that are transforming filmmaking
- Monday 16 Oct 2017 - (589) Tilta cage for a Red DSMC2 cameras has great potential: first impressions
- Monday 16 Oct 2017 - (2641) One giant leap for hard disk capacity