Adrian has been writing about the media industry for 20 years in a wide number of leading publications. He is a longstanding member of The IBC and ISE Daily teams, International Editor for CinemaEditor, award winning film critic, conference moderator and copywriter of white papers, press releases and marketing materials for a wide range of organisations. He lives in Liverpool and absolutely loves it.
From future handheld units to plug-ins for The Foundry, dealing with 400GB per second, and ambitions to get its lightfield technology into the hands of as many people as possible, including TV, Lytro’s Jon Karafin provides an update on all things Lightfield.
A decade ago recording in 8K resolutions let alone broadcasting it looked about as realistic as a manned landing in the Andromeda Galaxy, but it was apparent at IBC that 8K is being lumped into a suite of media enhancements set to hit us by 2020 - or sooner. 8K is becoming a regular part of the conversation and what’s remarkable is that this is no longer a surprise.
IBC’s haul of gadgets and prototypes usually prove so eclectic they may be unclassifiable if you were to meet them on the exhibition floor. This year, though, all things Virtual Reality have cornered the Future Zone.
This IBC was always going to be about IP but it’s clear that there is an imperative among manufacturers to not just say that they are open but to actually prove it. That’s because interoperability, or lack of it, is arguably the main sticking point putting the brakes on broadcaster investment.
As the last major consumer electronics show before Christmas, the Internationale Funkausstellung (IFA) show in Berlin carries considerable momentum into the present-giving season and electronics firms were focussing on Virtual Reality and HDR screens to turn consumer heads.
Infinite Wisdom Studios’ Michael Ford on the potential of VR, the differences between VR and 360-degree video, and what advice he has for people looking to get into the industry.
- Sunday 8 Jan 2017 - (24334) Coveted by top movie makers, this is how Cooke makes their lenses
- Friday 13 Jan 2017 - (13907) Why FCPX 10.3 is the NLE of the future
- Thursday 5 Jan 2017 - (8784) If you’re wondering about 8K workflows, this might help
- Tuesday 10 Jan 2017 - (7927) RED Helium is the "best sensor ever" according to DxO
- Wednesday 4 Jan 2017 - (6484) Panasonic reveals the GH5: and it’s a stunner
- Monday 16 Jan 2017 - (1768) Just how good is AMD's impressive new Ryzen CPU?
- Monday 16 Jan 2017 - (692) An Apple Studios original?
- Sunday 15 Jan 2017 - (912) Premiere Pro Video Transitions 101: A Step-by-Step Guide [sponsored]
- Saturday 14 Jan 2017 - (726) Finding the sweet spot for camera design
- Saturday 14 Jan 2017 - (642) What Robert Altman's work can teach us about film audio