Adrian has been writing about the media industry for 20 years in a wide number of leading publications. He is a longstanding member of The IBC and ISE Daily teams, International Editor for CinemaEditor, award winning film critic, conference moderator and copywriter of white papers, press releases and marketing materials for a wide range of organisations. He lives in Liverpool and absolutely loves it.
From future handheld units to plug-ins for The Foundry, dealing with 400GB per second, and ambitions to get its lightfield technology into the hands of as many people as possible, including TV, Lytro’s Jon Karafin provides an update on all things Lightfield.
A decade ago recording in 8K resolutions let alone broadcasting it looked about as realistic as a manned landing in the Andromeda Galaxy, but it was apparent at IBC that 8K is being lumped into a suite of media enhancements set to hit us by 2020 - or sooner. 8K is becoming a regular part of the conversation and what’s remarkable is that this is no longer a surprise.
IBC’s haul of gadgets and prototypes usually prove so eclectic they may be unclassifiable if you were to meet them on the exhibition floor. This year, though, all things Virtual Reality have cornered the Future Zone.
This IBC was always going to be about IP but it’s clear that there is an imperative among manufacturers to not just say that they are open but to actually prove it. That’s because interoperability, or lack of it, is arguably the main sticking point putting the brakes on broadcaster investment.
As the last major consumer electronics show before Christmas, the Internationale Funkausstellung (IFA) show in Berlin carries considerable momentum into the present-giving season and electronics firms were focussing on Virtual Reality and HDR screens to turn consumer heads.
Infinite Wisdom Studios’ Michael Ford on the potential of VR, the differences between VR and 360-degree video, and what advice he has for people looking to get into the industry.
- Tuesday 21 Mar 2017 - (13975) How to get MacBook performance for less
- Sunday 19 Mar 2017 - (13733) Why you should use prime lenses
- Friday 17 Mar 2017 - (10381) It’s a kinda magic… The Blackmagic Ursa Mini Pro review
- Tuesday 28 Mar 2017 - (8849) AMD’s Revolutionary Ryzen: Is this the chip to make you move from Intel?
- Thursday 23 Mar 2017 - (6753) New HDR Ninja Inferno breaks the $1000 barrier
- Wednesday 29 Mar 2017 - (14) Rampant Design releases new tools for Premiere Pro
- Wednesday 29 Mar 2017 - (1062) AMD's forthcoming Radeon RX Vega: greater GPU power at lower cost?
- Wednesday 29 Mar 2017 - (1044) Sony nails its colours to the live HDR mast
- Tuesday 28 Mar 2017 - (390) Some notable 360° video projects from the virtual front [sponsored]
- Tuesday 28 Mar 2017 - (929) RedShark exclusive video interview with Avid Chairman and CEO, Louis Hernandez Jr