Adrian has been writing about the media industry for 20 years in a wide number of leading publications. He is a longstanding member of The IBC and ISE Daily teams, International Editor for CinemaEditor, award winning film critic, conference moderator and copywriter of white papers, press releases and marketing materials for a wide range of organisations. He lives in Liverpool and absolutely loves it.
From future handheld units to plug-ins for The Foundry, dealing with 400GB per second, and ambitions to get its lightfield technology into the hands of as many people as possible, including TV, Lytro’s Jon Karafin provides an update on all things Lightfield.
A decade ago recording in 8K resolutions let alone broadcasting it looked about as realistic as a manned landing in the Andromeda Galaxy, but it was apparent at IBC that 8K is being lumped into a suite of media enhancements set to hit us by 2020 - or sooner. 8K is becoming a regular part of the conversation and what’s remarkable is that this is no longer a surprise.
IBC’s haul of gadgets and prototypes usually prove so eclectic they may be unclassifiable if you were to meet them on the exhibition floor. This year, though, all things Virtual Reality have cornered the Future Zone.
This IBC was always going to be about IP but it’s clear that there is an imperative among manufacturers to not just say that they are open but to actually prove it. That’s because interoperability, or lack of it, is arguably the main sticking point putting the brakes on broadcaster investment.
As the last major consumer electronics show before Christmas, the Internationale Funkausstellung (IFA) show in Berlin carries considerable momentum into the present-giving season and electronics firms were focussing on Virtual Reality and HDR screens to turn consumer heads.
Infinite Wisdom Studios’ Michael Ford on the potential of VR, the differences between VR and 360-degree video, and what advice he has for people looking to get into the industry.
- Saturday 17 Jun 2017 - (11939) Working with resolutions above 4K: We interview renowned cinematographer Shane Hurlbut, ASC
- Saturday 10 Jun 2017 - (9697) White lens or black lens? There’s a reason
- Saturday 17 Jun 2017 - (8623) Just in case you doubted that 8K video is the new still photography...
- Friday 16 Jun 2017 - (7836) 5 Tips from top Colorist Warren Eagles
- Monday 12 Jun 2017 - (6789) HP’s Omen Accelerator will boost your laptop’s graphics
- Friday 23 Jun 2017 - (375) AJA is now shipping its Ki Pro Ultra Plus
- Friday 23 Jun 2017 - (764) Audio makes video better [sponsored]
- Thursday 22 Jun 2017 - (1070) Sound Forge Pro Mac 3: new plugins and fabulous support for filmmakers
- Thursday 22 Jun 2017 - (2276) What is the best action camera to have in your kitbag?
- Thursday 22 Jun 2017 - (1039) Adobe swoops for SkyBox to ramp up 360 toolset