Roland Denning is an independent filmmaker and writer based in London. He was a lighting cameraman/ documentary cameraman for two decades, shooting everything from feature drama to rock promos. He still shoots when he can't afford to employ anyone else. His satirical novel, The Beach Beneath The Pavement was published in 2011.
The DSLR revolution had a huge impact on the video production industry. Conventional views of what a video camera should be were turned on their head, and doors were opened, making low budget filmmaking much more accessible. But the ripples from the revolution went far and wide. Roland Denning takes us on a journey of the effects those ripples caused.
We all love soft light, don’t we? It’s natural and flattering; hard light is old fashioned and looks artificial. And LEDs are a convenient and energy efficient source of soft light that have made most other lights obsolete, particularly if you are on a low budget. Is that all really true?
There has been a lot of discussion on these pages recently about what makes a film ‘cinematic’, centred around cameras, lenses, grading, lighting and the age-old debate of photochemical film versus digital. It’s all missing something obvious: space.
‘Cinematic’ is a term you’ll often find on these pages. It seems to be a look we all aspire to. We could argue about what ‘cinematic’ actually means (the best answer is probably ‘not like video’ - but then video doesn’t look like video anymore) but I’d rather discuss the underlying assumption: cinema is the highest form of the moving image and television is a lowly cousin.
- Sunday 10 Dec 2017 - (33474) How to understand "Log" or Cine-style recordings
- Sunday 3 Dec 2017 - (30977) Here's how to make your films look good
- Monday 11 Dec 2017 - (29089) For all film makers: How to avoid losing your stuff and where to put it
- Wednesday 13 Dec 2017 - (24930) Want to earn money from your film? You'll find that making it was the easy part...
- Monday 11 Dec 2017 - (8044) More megapixels are coming. Just get used to it [opinion]
- Friday 15 Dec 2017 - (662) The essentials of controlling your exposure part 1: aperture
- Friday 15 Dec 2017 - (669) NewBlueFX Titler Pro 6: an incredibly fast and easy way to create titles
- Thursday 14 Dec 2017 - (2452) Final Cut Pro X 10.4 now unleashed
- Thursday 14 Dec 2017 - (850) How we capture images in the future will be like nothing we can imagine
- Thursday 14 Dec 2017 - (1515) Fiilex new LED lights are ideal for small studios